Converting operator matrix (Quantum Chemistry question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting an operator matrix from Dirac Bra-Ket notation into a new dimension. The speaker is working on a transition dipole moment operator matrix and needs to convert it into a 16-dimensional molecular coordinate. This is necessary for their research on excitonic interactions in a system of 16 identical molecules. They are struggling with understanding the quantum chemistry calculations and are seeking help.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dear all,

I want to know how to convert operator matrix when using Dirac Bra-Ket notation when it must be converted into a new dimension.
I am currently working on transition dipole moment operator matrix D which I am going to use the following one:
D = er
Where e is charge of electron, r is position operator. Bold letters mean vector or matrix while non bold letters are scalars. This position operator was conveniently taught in my school from basis sets under three-dimensional space (like polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinate). I am assuming that there would be three elements for each basis vector. However, I wish to convert this operator matrix into 16-dimensional molecular coordinate.

The reason I need to do this is the system I am working on consists of 16 identical molecules that shows excitonic interaction and needed to know the splitting and their strength of the degenerate 16 energy state because of this interaction. The Hamiltonian for this system was created under the basis set of the subsystems of 16 molecules without any interaction and did the characteristic polynomial problem to get the eigenvalue and eigenfunction (which corresponds to the energy WITH the excitonic interaction En and the wavefunction vector Vn for corresponding new states).

Now that I know the energy of each of the new states where excitonic interactions are considered, I wished to know the oscillator strength f0→n for each of these new states so I can predict the absorption spectra of the system. In order to do this, I must solve the following problem:
f0→n = (8πm/3he2)(En-E0)<V0|D|Vn>2
However, it is obvious that basis set used for D in this particular equation is the same as the basis set used for Vn and therefore I have no idea how they are supposed to look like and how the matrix element of D can be solved so that I can calculate the oscillator strength (I can only imagine D operator in three-dimension space).

I am extremely confused about quantum physics (chemistry) since I am in an experimental Lab where most of the people have no idea about actual calculation in quantum chemistry. I do not even know if I am understanding even a bit of quantum chemistry right. So I absolutely have no idea where to start except speculation based on my knowledge of high-school mathematics.

If I am making a terrible mistake up there, please bash me and correct me.
I also apologize for my English because I am barely a native speaker (I'm Japanese).

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
D has a simple representation in the position basis. Conceptually, you would need to express the basis functions ##|V_n\rangle## in terms spatial wave functions, ##V_n(\mathbf{r}) = \langle \mathbf{r} | V_n \rangle##. Once this is done, you get the matrix elements of D as
$$
\langle V_0 | \hat{D} | V_n \rangle = \int V_0(\mathbf{r}) e\mathbf{r} V_n(\mathbf{r}) d^3\mathbf{r}
$$
I don't know how easy it is going to be to get the position representation of the basis functions.

Likes bhobba
Thanks.

I see. That seems to be rather difficult. How do you derive ##\langle \mathbf{r} |## for doing the following?

##\langle \mathbf{r} | V_n \rangle##

Related to Converting operator matrix (Quantum Chemistry question)

What is an operator matrix in quantum chemistry?

An operator matrix in quantum chemistry is a mathematical representation of an operator, which is a mathematical operation that acts on a wavefunction to produce a new wavefunction. In quantum chemistry, these operators represent physical observables, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

Why do we need to convert operator matrices in quantum chemistry?

Converting operator matrices allows us to change the mathematical representation of an operator, without changing its physical meaning. This can be useful for simplifying calculations or for using different mathematical methods to solve a problem.

What is the process for converting an operator matrix in quantum chemistry?

The process for converting an operator matrix depends on the specific mathematical representation being used. In general, it involves manipulating the mathematical expression for the operator in a way that preserves its physical meaning. This may involve using mathematical identities or transformations.

What are the main challenges in converting operator matrices in quantum chemistry?

One challenge in converting operator matrices is ensuring that the new representation accurately reflects the physical properties of the original operator. This requires a deep understanding of the mathematical relationships and physical principles involved. Additionally, the conversion process may also introduce numerical errors or approximations.

How do operator matrices in quantum chemistry relate to real-world experiments?

Operator matrices in quantum chemistry are used to calculate the expected values of physical observables, such as energy levels or transition probabilities. These values can then be compared to experimental data to validate the accuracy of the theoretical predictions. In this way, operator matrices play an important role in connecting quantum theory to real-world observations.