Converting Non-Digital Photos to JPEG/GIF for Upload

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary, the conversation is about changing a photo on a computer to a format that can be uploaded to photobucket/forums. It is mentioned that the photo is not a digital photo, so it may need to be scanned in. Various methods are suggested, such as using MS Paint or a different image host. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about becoming computer savvy in the future.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can anyone please tell me how to change a photo i have on my computer to a format that will upload to photobucket/forums, it needs to be a jpeg or gif?
It is not a digital photo.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of file is it?

If it is not a digital photo than that means you have to scan it in.

If it is on the computer that means it is a digital photo and you should be able to open it and go File>Save As..., and then in the drop down menu select jpg or gif and click Save! At least that's how I do it on my Mac :smile: I don't see why that wouldn't work on PC

Open it in MS Paint, go to File>Save as... and there will be a drop down menu where you should be able to select jpeg or gif among other options.

Edit- beaten to it!

wolram said:
Can anyone please tell me how to change a photo i have on my computer to a format that will upload to photobucket/forums, it needs to be a jpeg or gif?
It is not a digital photo.

nothing inappropriate.. right? :rolleyes:

:smile:

Thanks guys, i am sure i will be computer savy befor 3000.

Related to Converting Non-Digital Photos to JPEG/GIF for Upload

1. How do I convert my non-digital photos to JPEG/GIF format for upload?

To convert your non-digital photos to JPEG/GIF format, you will need to use a photo scanning or digitizing service. These services use high-quality scanners to scan your physical photos and convert them into digital files, usually in JPEG or GIF format. You can also use a photo editing software such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP to scan and edit your photos yourself.

2. What is the difference between JPEG and GIF formats?

JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) is a commonly used image format that offers high-quality images with a small file size. GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), on the other hand, is a lossless image format that supports animations and allows for transparent backgrounds. Both formats are commonly used for uploading and sharing images on the internet.

3. Are there any online tools I can use to convert my non-digital photos to JPEG/GIF?

Yes, there are many online tools available that allow you to convert your non-digital photos to JPEG/GIF format for free. Some popular options include ConvertImage, FreeConvert, and Online-Convert. Keep in mind that these tools may have file size limitations and may not produce the highest quality images.

4. Can I convert my physical photos to other formats besides JPEG/GIF?

Yes, there are many different image formats available for converting physical photos, including PNG, TIFF, and BMP. The best format to use will depend on your specific needs and the quality of the original photo. It is recommended to do some research on different image formats and their uses before converting your photos.

5. Will converting my non-digital photos to JPEG/GIF affect the quality of the image?

Yes, converting your non-digital photos to JPEG/GIF format may affect the quality of the image. This is because JPEG/GIF formats use compression to reduce the file size, which can result in a loss of image quality. However, using a high-quality scanner and properly adjusting the settings can help minimize this loss of quality.