Convert this integral from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates

The solution you have has them in the first line: ##0 \leq r \leq 2sin(\theta)## and ##r \leq 2csc(\theta)##The second line of the solution is a bit misleading because it seems to suggest that the second integral is equal to the first. This is not true, but it is true that the second integral is equal to the first one when the first one is integrated first and then the second one. The author should have said that explicitly.In summary, the polar integration is set up so that the first integral integrates the quarter circle and the second integral integrates the area above it bounded by y = 1, x = 1, and the quarter circle
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem and its solution are attached as TheProblemAndTheSolution.jpg.

If you don't want to view the attached image, the cartesian-coordinate version that the problem wants me to convert to a polar-coordinate version is the following (let "int" = "integral").:
int int (1 - x^2 - y^2) dx from 0 to sqrt(2y - y^2) dy from 0 to 1

Homework Equations

Let t = theta (because it is simpler to type). Then x = rcos(t), y = rcos(t), r^2 = x^2 + y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed the square and got this circle ( http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot x^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 1 ).

Let "int" = "integral".

I thought I was supposed to do int int (1 - r^2) r dr from 0 to 1 (because the radius ranges in size from 0 to 1) dt from 0 to pi (because, I was initially thinking 0 to -pi, but then I thought about the circle being above the x-axis and that the area would be positive).

Why does the solution attached get what it gets?

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,495
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

The problem and its solution are attached as TheProblemAndTheSolution.jpg.

If you don't want to view the attached image, the cartesian-coordinate version that the problem wants me to convert to a polar-coordinate version is the following (let "int" = "integral").:
int int (1 - x^2 - y^2) dx from 0 to sqrt(2y - y^2) dy from 0 to 1

Homework Equations

Let t = theta (because it is simpler to type). Then x = rcos(t), y = rcos(t), r^2 = x^2 + y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed the square and got this circle ( http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot x^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 1 ).

Let "int" = "integral".

I thought I was supposed to do int int (1 - r^2) r dr from 0 to 1 (because the radius ranges in size from 0 to 1) dt from 0 to pi (because, I was initially thinking 0 to -pi, but then I thought about the circle being above the x-axis and that the area would be positive).
Both of your sets of integration limits are wrong.
In the Cartesian integral, x ranges between 0 and ##\sqrt{2y - y^2}##. This means that you are not going to get the complete circle. This will have an effect on the range of values for ##\theta## in the polar integral.

Also, in the polar integral, r does not range from 0 to 1 as you say above. The values for r range between 0 and the partial circle. As you have the limits, the circle would be centered at (0, 0), which is incorrect.
s3a said:
Why does the solution attached get what it gets?

Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm still very confused as to how I am supposed to get (letting t = theta) the drawing with r = 2sin(t) and r = csc(t).

Could you please explain that part to me?

s3a said:
Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm still very confused as to how I am supposed to get (letting t = theta) the drawing with r = 2sin(t) and r = csc(t).

Could you please explain that part to me?
The Cartesian limits of integration define a region that is a quarter of a circle (the lower right quadrant). The center of the circle is at (0, 1) and its radius is 1. When you switch to polar form you will need two integrals, one in which r ranges from 0 to the circle while ##\theta## ranges between 0 and ##\pi/4##, and the other where r ranges from 0 to the line y = 1 while ##\theta## ranges between ##\pi/4## and ##\pi/2##.

Probably the hardest part of this problem is figuring out what the polar limits of integration are.

Related to Convert this integral from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates

1. What is the general process for converting an integral from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

The general process for converting an integral from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates involves substituting the cartesian variables (x and y) with their corresponding polar variables (r and theta) and changing the limits of integration accordingly.

2. How do I determine the new limits of integration when converting to polar coordinates?

The new limits of integration in polar coordinates are determined by converting the cartesian limits to polar coordinates using the following equations:
x = r cos(theta) and y = r sin(theta). The lower and upper limits of the original integral will become the lower and upper limits in terms of theta respectively.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should convert the cartesian variables to polar variables?

Yes, it is recommended to always convert the x-coordinate first and then the y-coordinate. This will ensure that the resulting integral is simplified and easier to solve.

4. Can I use polar coordinates to solve any type of integral?

No, polar coordinates are only suitable for solving integrals that have circular or radial symmetry. They are not suitable for integrals with rectangular or linear boundaries.

5. Are there any additional considerations I should keep in mind when converting to polar coordinates?

Yes, it is important to also convert the differential element from dx dy to r dr d(theta). Additionally, keep in mind that polar coordinates can result in more complex integrals, so it may be necessary to use trigonometric identities or integration techniques such as u-substitution to simplify the integral.