Convert sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}: Guide

In summary, the problem is that I need to convert: \sqrt{27} + 3iFrom the form (a+bi) to Re^{i\theta}. I have no clue what to do with this. I do know the following:e^{i\pi}=cos(\theta)+sin(\theta)i=-1But I don't see how that's helpful. This is the first of several problems.What you need to know is that for a complex number z = a + ib, we define the following -:andNow can you complete this question?Sidenote : r is called the "modulus"
Lancelot59
The problem is that I need to convert:

[tex] \sqrt{27} + 3i[/tex]

From the form [tex](a+bi)[/tex] to [tex]Re^{i\theta}[/tex]. I have no clue what to do with this. I do know the following:

[tex]e^{i\pi}=cos(\theta)+sin(\theta)i=-1[/tex]

But I don't see how that's helpful. This is the first of several problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to know is that for a complex number z = a + ib, we define the following -:

gif.gif

and

gif.gif

Now can you complete this question?

Sidenote : r is called the "modulus" or "magnitude" of the complex number and theta is its "amplitude" or the "argument".

Last edited:
SVXX said:
What you need to know is that for a complex number z = a + ib, we define the following -:

gif.gif

and

gif.gif

Now can you complete this question?

Sidenote : r is called the "modulus" or "magnitude" of the complex number and theta is its "amplitude" or the "argument".

I see here. Correct me if I'm wrong here:

An imaginary number is like a vector, with a real and imaginary component. Am I correct in saying that the new vector:
[tex]6e^{i\frac{\pi}{6}}[/tex]
Is now in "polar coordinates"? Or some form of polar coordinates with an imaginary axis?

Another question, is modulus just a term used for the magnitude, or is there more to it than that? I've always known it to be the remainder of division.

Indeed, it is in polar coordinates in the exponential form.

gif.gif

And

gif.gif

which is why it is called the "modulus" of a complex number (its how the modulus function is defined for complex numbers).

SVXX said:
Indeed, it is in polar coordinates in the exponential form.

gif.gif

And

gif.gif

which is why it is called the "modulus" of a complex number (its how the modulus function is defined for complex numbers).

Okay, now I have one where I need to go the other direction:

[tex]2e^{\frac{2\pi}{3}i}[/tex]

So I got the following:

[tex]tan(\frac{2\pi}{3})=\frac{b}{a}=-\sqrt{3}[/tex]
[tex]b=-a\sqrt{3}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}=2[/tex]
[tex]a^{2}+b^{2}=4[/tex]
[tex]a^{2}+(-a\sqrt{3})^{2}=4[/tex]
[tex]a^{2}+3a^{2}=4[/tex]
[tex]4a^{2}=4[/tex]
[tex]a^{2}=1[/tex]
[tex]a=+-1[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong answer in the answer key.

Last edited:

Related to Convert sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}: Guide

1. What is the formula for converting sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}?

The formula for converting sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ} is Re^(iθ) = √(a^2 + b^2) * cos(θ) + i * √(a^2 + b^2) * sin(θ), where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part.

2. How do I find the value of θ to convert sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}?

To find the value of θ, you can use the arctan function, which is tan^-1(b/a). In this case, θ = tan^-1(3/√27) = 0.4636 radians or 26.565 degrees.

3. Can you explain the process of converting sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}?

Sure, the process involves finding the magnitude of the complex number, which is √(27^2 + 3^2) = √738. Then, we use the arctan function to find the value of θ. Finally, we plug in the values in the formula Re^(iθ) = √738 * cos(0.4636) + i * √738 * sin(0.4636) to get the final result.

4. Why do we convert sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}?

We convert sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ} to represent the complex number in polar form, which is a more concise and useful way of expressing complex numbers. It also allows us to perform mathematical operations, such as multiplication and division, more easily.

5. Is there a specific unit for θ when converting sqrt(27) + 3i to Re^{iθ}?

Yes, the unit for θ is radians or degrees, depending on your preference. In this case, we converted θ to both radians and degrees, where θ = 0.4636 radians or 26.565 degrees.