Convert f(x) to parametric holding something constant

In summary, the problem discussed is how to create a parametric equation for a particle with a constant velocity of 5 m/s, given that the path of the particle is described by y=4x^2. Multiple solutions are proposed, including solving a differential equation and solving numerically.
ChickenChakuro
Hi all, if I have a problem like:

The path of a particle is described by [tex]y=4x^2[/tex], and it has a constant velocity of 5 m/s.

How do I make a parametric equation out of this?

I tried doing:
[tex]r = xi + f(x)j[/tex]
[tex]r = ti + 4t^2j[/tex],

but then [tex]v = \frac{dr}{dt} = i + 8tj[/tex], so [tex]|v|=\sqrt{1+64t^2}[/tex], and at, for example, time [tex]t = 0[/tex], [tex]|v| = \sqrt{1+0} = 1[/tex], not the constant 5 m/s! Anyone know how I can make a parametric equation that will work?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you have y = 4x2 and |v(t)| = 5 (and v(t) > 0)

Letting x = (x(t),y(t))

You know that dv/dt = x

So you know that:

| integral(x,dt) | = 5

Think about it for a bit, sure it will come to you :smile:

I don't get it!

I tried:

[tex]|(\int x\,dt)| = 5[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{(xt)^2+C^2}= 5[/tex]

[tex]x^2t^2+C^2=25[/tex]

It doesn't seem to work! When x = 0, C=5, so
[tex]|v| = x^2t^2 +5[/tex]?

Last edited:
Then length is NOT [itex]| \int x dx|[/itex]! Also, x is itself a function of t so your integration is wrong.

If x= f(t) and y= g(t) then since y= 4x2, g(t)= 4(f(t)2 so
[tex]\frac{dg}{dt}= 8f(t)\frac{df}{dt}[/tex]
The length f(t)i+ g(t)j is
[tex]\sqrt{f^2(t)+ 64f^2(t)\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)^2}= 5[/tex]
Solve that differential equation for f(x) and then find g(x).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, thanks. Wait, how do I solve for f(x)? All I see is f(t)!

Ah, nevermind. Thanks for the help!

There appear to be typographic mistakes in post 4. For example,

[tex]\sqrt{f^2(t)+64f^2(t)\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)^2}\;=\:5\quad\ \ \mbox{should instead be}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)^2+64f^2(t)\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)^2}=\:5.[/tex]​

I would instead solve the given problem in post 1 as follows.

Given y = 4*x2, ds/dt = 5 m/s. At x = 0, t = 0.

[tex]\mathbf{\vec s}=x\,\mathbf{i}+y\,\mathbf{j}[/tex]

[tex]d\mathbf{\vec s}=dx\,\mathbf{i}+dy\,\mathbf{j}[/tex]

[tex]ds=[(dx)^2+(dy)^2]^{0.5}[/tex]​

[tex]\mbox{But since }y=4x^2,\ \ \therefore \ dy=8x\,dx.\ \mbox{Therefore,}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}ds&=[(dx)^2+64x^2(dx)^2]^{0.5}\\
&=(1+64x^2)^{0.5}\,dx\end{equation*}\end{split}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}=(1+64x^2)^{0.5}\,\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]​

[tex]\mbox{But }\frac{ds}{dt}=5\ \mbox{m/s}.[/tex]

[tex]5=(1+64x^2)^{0.5}\,\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}dt&=\frac{1}{5}(1+64x^2)^{0.5}\,dx\\
&=\frac{8}{5}(\frac{1}{64}+x^2)^{0.5}\,dx\\
&=\frac{8}{5}[\left(\frac{1}{8}\right)^2+x^2]^{0.5}\,dx\end{equation*}\end{split}[/tex]

[tex]\int dt=\frac{8}{5}\int[\left(\frac{1}{8}\right)^2+x^2]^{0.5}\,dx[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{8}{5}\int[\left(\frac{1}{8}\right)^2+x^2]^{0.5}\,dx[/tex]​

Therefore, from any integral table,

[tex]t\:=\:\frac{4}{5}x\,(\frac{1}{64}+x^2)^{0.5}\ +\ \frac{1}{128}\ln|x+(\frac{1}{64}+x^2)^{0.5}|\ +\ c[/tex]​

[tex]\mbox{At}\ x=0,\ t=0;\ \ \therefore \ c=-\frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8}).[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{Now, let }\:x=\frac{1}{8}\sinh z.\ \ \mbox{Therefore,}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}t\:&=\:\frac{1}{10}(\sinh z)(\frac{1}{64}+\frac{1}{64}\sinh^2z)^{0.5}\ \\
&+\ \frac{1}{128}\ln\left[\frac{1}{8}\sinh z+(\frac{1}{64}+\frac{1}{64}\sinh^2z)^{0.5}\right]\ -\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8})\\
&=\:\frac{1}{80}(\sinh z)(1+\sinh^2z)^{0.5}\ \\
&+\ \frac{1}{128}\ln\left(\frac{1}{8}[\sinh z+(1+\sinh^2z)^{0.5}]\right)\ -\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8})\\
&=\:\frac{1}{80}(\sinh z)(\cosh z)\ +\ \frac{1}{128}\ln\left[\frac{1}{8}(\sinh z+\cosh z)\right]\ -\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8})\\
&=\:\frac{1}{80}(\sinh z)(\cosh z)\ +\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8}\,e^z)\ -\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8})\\
&=\:\frac{1}{80}(\sinh z)(\cosh z)\ +\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8})\ +\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(e^z)\ -\ \frac{1}{128}\ln(\frac{1}{8})\\
&=\:\frac{1}{80}(\sinh z)(\cosh z)\ +\ \frac{1}{128}\,z\\
&=\:\frac{1}{160}\sinh(2z)\;+\;\frac{1}{128}\,z\end{split}\end{equation*}[/tex]​

Unfortunately, this equation cannot be solved analytically for z (to my knowledge). But you could solve it for z numerically, for any given value of t. And then you can compute the corresponding value of x and y, because x = 0.125*sinh(z), and y = 4*x2.

Thanks, but this thread was 4 years old!

Related to Convert f(x) to parametric holding something constant

1. What is the purpose of converting f(x) to parametric and holding something constant?

Converting f(x) to parametric form allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a mathematical function. By holding something constant, such as a variable or parameter, we can analyze how the function changes with respect to that specific constant.

2. How do you convert a function from f(x) to parametric form?

To convert a function from f(x) to parametric form, we replace the independent variable, x, with a parameter, usually denoted as t. This creates a set of equations, one for each dependent variable, that describe the function in terms of the parameter t.

3. What does it mean to hold something constant in a parametric function?

Holding something constant in a parametric function means that we are keeping a specific variable or parameter fixed while analyzing the function. This allows us to observe how the function changes only with respect to the remaining variables.

4. Can you give an example of converting a function to parametric form and holding something constant?

Sure, for the function f(x) = x^2 + 2x, we can convert it to parametric form by letting x = t. This gives us the equations x = t and y = t^2 + 2t. If we hold t constant at 2, then the parametric function becomes x = 2 and y = 6. This allows us to see how the function changes along the line x = 2.

5. What are the benefits of converting a function to parametric form and holding something constant?

Converting a function to parametric form and holding something constant allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the function. It also enables us to analyze specific parts of the function, such as the slope or curvature, by only changing one variable at a time. This can be useful in various real-world applications, such as modeling the motion of an object along a fixed path.