Convert .DXF files to .NC1 files?

In summary, the speaker has a laser cutter at work that uses old school g-code and specifically .nc1 files. They are trying to find a way to convert .dxf files to .nc1 and have been using an old converter on an ancient laptop. However, no one knows where the converter came from and the speaker is unable to find any information online about the company. They are looking for advice on finding a .dxf converter and also considering the possibility of writing their own converter. They have found some information on .nc1 files online and are also considering looking for a more common file format that the laser cutter may accept.
stimulisRK
I have a laser cutter at work I'm trying to program. It's from the 80's and reads old school g-code, specifically .nc1 files. I use it to cut x-ray film screens.

Right now we have an ancient laptop with an old converter on it that converts to .nc1. No one here knows where this converter program came from (no installation/setup file), and I can't find anything online about the company who made it. I'm new here, and they just tell "it's how they've always done it". Any of you have any knowledge on .dxf converters, specifically converting to .nc1?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like DXF files can be ASCII: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD_DXF

Do you know if NC1 files are ASCII or binary? If ASCII, it may be possible for you to write up a converter yourself if you can't locate a pre-built converter.

A google search for
nc1 cad cam
might throw up an interesting link or two.

I would also be looking beyond the NC1 file type on that laser cutter to see if I could find a more common format to widen your choices. After all, what you need is probably a .DXF to g-code converter. Not necessarily a .DXF to .NC1 converter.

Have a look in the manual to see if it accepts other file extensions or types (I am guessing .TXT should work).

Related to Convert .DXF files to .NC1 files?

What is the difference between .DXF and .NC1 files?

The .DXF file format is used for 2D and 3D computer-aided design (CAD) drawings, while .NC1 files are used for controlling computer numerical control (CNC) machines. .NC1 files contain instructions for the machine to follow, while .DXF files contain the actual design information.

Why would someone need to convert a .DXF file to an .NC1 file?

If someone has created a design using CAD software, they may need to convert it to an .NC1 file in order to use it on a CNC machine. CNC machines use .NC1 files to understand and execute the design, while .DXF files are primarily used for creating and editing the design.

Can any CAD software convert .DXF files to .NC1 files?

Not all CAD software has the capability to convert .DXF files to .NC1 files. Some software may require a plugin or additional software to perform this conversion. It is important to check the capabilities of the CAD software before attempting to convert files.

Are there any limitations when converting .DXF files to .NC1 files?

There may be limitations when converting .DXF files to .NC1 files, such as file size limitations, compatibility issues, or loss of certain design elements. It is important to test the conversion and ensure that the resulting .NC1 file is accurate before using it on a CNC machine.

Can I convert an .NC1 file back to a .DXF file?

It is possible to convert an .NC1 file back to a .DXF file, but this process may result in the loss of certain information or design elements. It is recommended to keep a backup of the original .DXF file in case any changes need to be made in the future.