Convergence: The Integral Test

In summary: telescoping series. \frac{1}{2n} = \frac{1}{2}ln(2n) \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+1) = \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+2) \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+3) = \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+4) \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+5) = \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+6) \frac{1}{2}ln(2n+7) = \frac{1}{2}ln
Joshk80k

Homework Statement

Is

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}[/tex]

convergent or divergent?

(Note that the summation is from 1 to infinity)

Homework Equations

[tex]\int f(x) dx = L[/tex], (range is from 1 to infinity)

IF
L = [tex]\infty[/tex], divergent
L < [tex]\infty[/tex], convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a number of tests, and this is the only convergence test that I am not sure about. I attempted the ratio and root tests, but both were inconclusive.

As for my attempt,

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}dx[/tex], using the partial fractions method to integrate,

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}dx = \int \frac{A}{2n} + \frac{B}{2n+1} [/tex]

[tex]1 = 2nA + 2nB + A[/tex]

Matching up coefficients,

[tex]A^0: 1 = A[/tex]

and

[tex]A^1: 0 = 2A + 2B,[/tex]

[tex]B = -A = -1[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}dx = \int \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{-1}{2n+1} [/tex]

Using substitution,

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n} = \frac{1}{2}ln(2n)[/tex]

and

[tex]\int \frac{-1}{2n+1} = -\frac{1}{2}ln(2n+1)[/tex]

So, adding these two together, and using properties of the natural log,

[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln(2n) + -\frac{1}{2}ln(2n+1) = \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2n}{2n+1})[/tex]

Now, inserting the bounds 1 and t (Where t is infinity),

[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2t}{2t+1}) - \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2}{3})[/tex]

Here is where I am a little stumped. I want to say "Hey, t is infinity, and at large values of t, we can ignore the excess numbers (In this case, 2t + 1 is just a tiny bit different than 2t, so we ignore the 1 to make the cancellation) and as a result, I'll have a finite value, and for this reason, the answer is convergent.

BUT, I have always been a little shaky on convergence tests - am I doing this correctly or am I wrong to make that assumption about the cancellation?

Physics news on Phys.org
An easier test for this one is comparison with the convergent series [itex]\sum 1/(4n^2)[/itex].

Sigh.

Using your method, I got the answer in 15 seconds, as opposed to the 15 minutes my other way took.

Thanks to you, I know this is now convergent - but, for future reference, is it OK for me to make that assumption that I made towards the end of the problem?

Yes. Adding or subtracting a constant won't affect the decision of convergence/divergence. If the integral diverges (to infinity), adding or subtracting a little bit doesn't change that. Same thing if the integral converges. Subtracting or adding something just gives a different (finite) number.

Ah OK, thanks so much for your help! My professor gave us a whole list of these things to figure out, and if I'm applying the comparison test you just showed me correctly, then I shouldn't have any more problems.

Am I applying what you just showed me in the correct manner here?

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n+1)}} [/tex]

to [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n)}} = \frac{1}{n}[/tex].

Joshk80k said:
Ah OK, thanks so much for your help! My professor gave us a whole list of these things to figure out, and if I'm applying the comparison test you just showed me correctly, then I shouldn't have any more problems.

Am I applying what you just showed me in the correct manner here?

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n+1)}} [/tex]

to [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n)}} = \frac{1}{n}[/tex].

You've got 1/(sqrt(n*(n+1))<=1/sqrt(n*n)=1/n. You know 1/n is divergent, right? If so that's not good enough. You shown your original series is less than a divergent series. That doesn't prove anything. If you want to prove it diverges you need to show it's GREATER than a divergent series. Any ideas?

I want to relate it to something like
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n+2)}}[/tex]

But to be honest I can't think of an easy way to deal with that one either...I'll continue thinking about it...thanks for correcting it though =).

How about comparing 1/sqrt(n*(n+1)) with 1/sqrt(n*(n+n))? Which is greater and what can you say about the convergence of the second without working too hard?

Last edited:
I can say that my original function is greater than this new function, and that this new function is also divergent.

OK, I can see how your choice coincides with the way the convergence test is written. I just made the mistake of jumping the gun with this new technique =).

Joshk80k said:
I can say that my original function is greater than this new function, and that this new function is also divergent.

OK, I can see how your choice coincides with the way the convergence test is written. I just made the mistake of jumping the gun with this new technique =).

I think you are getting it. You can always make convenient choices in the comparison to make them easier to evaluate.

Joshk80k said:
Sigh.

Using your method, I got the answer in 15 seconds, as opposed to the 15 minutes my other way took.

Thanks to you, I know this is now convergent - but, for future reference, is it OK for me to make that assumption that I made towards the end of the problem?

Your attempt is not a complete loss. Actually, there is something interesting to gain: the notion of telescoping series.

[tex]\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2n}-\frac{1}{2n+1}[/tex]

Within your sum, replace [itex]\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}[/itex] with [itex]\frac{1}{2n}-\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]. Then write out a few terms, and observe any simplifications via grouping...

Related to Convergence: The Integral Test

1. What is Convergence: The Integral Test?

The Integral Test is a mathematical tool used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series to a related improper integral and using the properties of integrals to make a conclusion about the series' behavior.

2. How does the Integral Test work?

The Integral Test works by comparing an infinite series to a related improper integral, which is an integral with infinite limits of integration. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges. If the integral converges, then the series may or may not also converge.

3. When should the Integral Test be used?

The Integral Test is typically used when the terms of an infinite series are positive, continuous, and decreasing. It can also be used to test for absolute convergence, where the terms of the series are replaced by their absolute values.

4. What is the difference between the Integral Test and the Comparison Test?

The Integral Test and the Comparison Test are both used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. However, the Comparison Test compares the series to another known series, while the Integral Test compares the series to a related improper integral.

5. Are there any limitations to the Integral Test?

Yes, there are a few limitations to the Integral Test. It can only be used for infinite series with positive, continuous, and decreasing terms. It also cannot be used to determine the exact value of the series, only whether it converges or diverges. Additionally, the integral being compared must be solvable, which may not always be the case.