Convergence: Root Test Inconclusive

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for determining convergence or divergence of a series. The root test and nth term test are explored and applied to specific series. The conversation also clarifies that changing a finite number of terms in a series does not affect its convergence or divergence.
JRangel42

Homework Statement

I'm this series to see if it's convergent or divergent. I tried the root test, but it came out inclusive, and now I am trying to figure out if the ration test works. The only thing I'm asking which would be the right test for this.

Homework Equations

∞Ʃn=1 (2n+1)^n/(n^2n)

The Attempt at a Solution

[(2n+1)^n/(n^2)]^1/n
= (2n+1)/(n^2)
= [itex]\stackrel{}{lim n\rightarrow}[/itex]∞ (2n+1)/(n^2)
= 1/1
= 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, come on. The limit of (2n+1)/n^2 is not 1.

Oh, jeez! You're right! I made a dumb mistake and forgot to divide the 1 in (2n+1) by n^2. Oh, and thanks.

hello, i have another problem. Could you help me ?
The problem is ;

∞Ʃn=0 (1+1/n)^n

When I use root theorem;

n√((1+1/n)^n) = (1+1/n)

lim n→∞ (1+1/n) = 1

Result is inconclusive so what should I do ?

thanks in advance

crescent72 said:
hello, i have another problem. Could you help me ?
The problem is ;

∞Ʃn=0 (1+1/n)^n

When I use root theorem;

n√((1+1/n)^n) = (1+1/n)

lim n→∞ (1+1/n) = 1

Result is inconclusive so what should I do ?

thanks in advance

Try the nth term test. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_test

Ok I tried it:

lim n→∞ (1+(1/n))^n = e (it is written in some theorem)

And rule of nth term test is
If lim n→∞ an ≠0 or if the limit does not exist, then ∞Ʃn=1 an diverges.

My result is 'e' is not equal 0 so, ∞Ʃn=1 an diverges.

My original question :

∞Ʃn=0 an
Is there any problem that in my question the sigma starts with 0 but nth term test rule says sigma starts with 1.

Does it change anything ?

If not, my result is divergence.

crescent72 said:
Ok I tried it:

lim n→∞ (1+(1/n))^n = e (it is written in some theorem)

And rule of nth term test is
If lim n→∞ an ≠0 or if the limit does not exist, then ∞Ʃn=1 an diverges.

My result is 'e' is not equal 0 so, ∞Ʃn=1 an diverges.

My original question :

∞Ʃn=0 an
Is there any problem that in my question the sigma starts with 0 but nth term test rule says sigma starts with 1.

Does it change anything ?

If not, my result is divergence.

No, it doesn't change anything, and that's an important point. All that matters for convergence or divergence is what happens 'near infinity'. Changing any finite number of terms of your series doesn't affect convergence.

Ok, I got it. Thank you so much.

Related to Convergence: Root Test Inconclusive

What is the Convergence: Root Test?

The Convergence: Root Test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the nth root of the absolute value of each term in a series and then finding the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1 or undefined, the series diverges.

How is the Convergence: Root Test different from other convergence tests?

The Convergence: Root Test is different from other convergence tests, such as the Ratio Test or the Integral Test, because it specifically looks at the behavior of the nth root of the terms in a series. This makes it especially useful for series with terms that involve powers or roots.

What does it mean if the Convergence: Root Test is inconclusive?

If the Convergence: Root Test is inconclusive, it means that the test was not able to determine whether the series converges or diverges. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as the series being too complex or the limit being undefined.

What should I do if the Convergence: Root Test is inconclusive?

If the Convergence: Root Test is inconclusive, it is recommended to try using other convergence tests, such as the Ratio Test or the Integral Test, to see if they can provide a conclusive result. It may also be helpful to simplify the series or manipulate it in some way to make it easier to analyze.

Are there any limitations to the Convergence: Root Test?

Yes, the Convergence: Root Test has some limitations. It can only be used on series with positive terms, and it may not work on all series. Additionally, the test can only determine convergence or divergence, not the exact value of the limit. It is important to also consider the conditions of convergence when using this test.