Convergence of tan(1/n) using Direct Comparison Test

In summary, the Direct Comparison Test is a method used in mathematics to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known series. It is most effective for series with positive terms and when the known series has a known convergence or divergence. However, it has limitations, such as the need for a known series to compare to and its inability to determine the actual value of the series. Other tests or methods may be needed in some cases to determine convergence or divergence.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

Use any test to determine whether the series converges.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle \sum^{∞}_{n=1} tan(1/n) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Direct Comparison Test

tan(1/n) > 1/n

By integral test: 1/n diverges thus, by dct, tan(1/n) diverges.

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good to me. They might want some more detail in your working, i.e. what is the range of values that 1/n can take. And why is tan(1/n) > 1/n for these range of values?

whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Direct Comparison Test

tan(1/n) > 1/n

Yes, comparison test is what you want here. You may want to note that you need sufficiently large n for it to hold.

whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Direct Comparison Test

tan(1/n) > 1/n

As others have noted, you need to say why this is true.

It isn't 1/n that diverges, it is ##\sum 1/n## that diverges. Same for tan(1/n).

Zondrina said:
Yes, comparison test is what you want here. You may want to note that you need sufficiently large n for it to hold.

i thought it held only for sufficiently small n. it holds starting at n=1

I think you are right that it holds, starting at n=1. But think about what would happen if you started at smaller n, for example starting at n=0.0001, would it still hold then?

Edit: and think about if it started at n=1000, would it hold? This should suggest whether it holds for sufficiently small or sufficiently large n.

Edit again: hint: look at the graph of tan(x), where might there be problems for the equation tan(x)>x ? And then think about how this applies to n (which is 1/x)

Last edited:
whatlifeforme said:
i thought it held only for sufficiently small n. it holds starting at n=1

Think about the graphs of y = tan(x) and y = x for nonnegative x.

BruceW said:
I think you are right that it holds, starting at n=1. But think about what would happen if you started at smaller n, for example starting at n=0.0001, would it still hold then?
Why would you want to check n = 0.0001? n is an index on a summation, typically limited to integer values.
BruceW said:
Edit: and think about if it started at n=1000, would it hold? This should suggest whether it holds for sufficiently small or sufficiently large n.

Edit again: hint: look at the graph of tan(x), where might there be problems for the equation tan(x)>x ? And then think about how this applies to n (which is 1/x)

Mark44 said:
Why would you want to check n = 0.0001? n is an index on a summation, typically limited to integer values.

exactly.

It it doesn't seem that hard to show that [itex] \tan \frac{1}{n} > \frac{1}{n} [/itex] for all positive n. Since [itex] \frac{1}{n} \leq 1 [/itex], it suffices to show that [itex] \tan x \geq x [/itex] for [itex] 0 \leq x \leq 1 [/itex] . Just let [itex] f(x) = \tan x - x [/itex] and find [itex] f'(x) = \sec^2 x -1 \geq 0[/itex]. Since [itex] f [/itex] is zero at x=0 and increasing, it must be positive on [itex] [0,1] [/itex] as it is continous. If [itex] \tan x - x [/itex] is positive, then [itex] \tan x \geq x [/itex] and we are done.

@HS-Scientist: yeah, don't give the game away though... (p.s. is this a British expression, or does this make sense to Americans, too?)

Mark44 said:
It doesn't have to be integer though. The point is that whatlifeforme was saying that n needs to be sufficiently small, but actually it holds for n sufficiently large. Although I admit, checking particular values of n is not very helpful. It is better to look at the graph.

Related to Convergence of tan(1/n) using Direct Comparison Test

What is the Direct Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test is a method used in mathematics to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing the given series to a known series and seeing if they have similar behavior.

When should I use the Direct Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test is best used when the given series has positive terms and is similar to a known series in terms of behavior. It is also useful when the known series is easier to evaluate or has a known convergence or divergence.

How do I apply the Direct Comparison Test?

To apply the Direct Comparison Test, you must first identify a known series that is either larger or smaller than the given series. Then, you can compare the two series to determine if they have the same convergence or divergence. If they do, then the given series will have the same convergence or divergence.

What are the limitations of the Direct Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test is limited in that it can only be used for series with positive terms and a known series to compare to. It also assumes that the known series has a known convergence or divergence, which may not always be the case.

Can the Direct Comparison Test always determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

No, the Direct Comparison Test cannot always determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It can only determine if the given series has the same convergence or divergence as a known series, but it cannot determine the actual value of the series. In some cases, other tests or methods may be needed to determine convergence or divergence.