Convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence

In summary, the first sequence, n!/2n, approaches infinity as n approaches infinity. For the second sequence, ∫ e-x2 dx, the limit cannot be found using elementary methods and a comparison test may be useful.
trap101
State whether the sequence converges as n--> ##∞##, if it does find the limit

i'm having trouble with these two:

n!/2n and ∫ e-x2 dx

now I know they're special forms so the ordinary tricks won't work. Any help or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
State whether the sequence converges as n--> ##∞##, if it does find the limit

i'm having trouble with these two:

n!/2n and ∫ e-x2 dx
For the first, what have you tried?

For the second, that's an integral, not a sequence. How does n approaching infinity enter into things?
trap101 said:
now I know they're special forms so the ordinary tricks won't work. Any help or hints?

Mark44 said:
For the first, what have you tried?

For the second, that's an integral, not a sequence. How does n approaching infinity enter into things?

For the first one I simplified it a tad if it's correct to do this:

n!/2n = n (n-1)!/2n = (n-1)!/2 ...so would that tend to ∞?

for the second one:

before being concerned with the integral, e-x2 taking it's limit to ∞ would have the sequnce converge to 0 because e-x2 = 1/ ex2, but shouldn't I integrate it first before I attempt to take the limit?

trap101 said:
For the first one I simplified it a tad if it's correct to do this:

n!/2n = n (n-1)!/2n = (n-1)!/2 ...so would that tend to ∞?

for the second one:

before being concerned with the integral, e-x2 taking it's limit to ∞ would have the sequnce converge to 0 because e-x2 = 1/ ex2, but shouldn't I integrate it first before I attempt to take the limit?

For the first one, yes, I think it's pretty clear your simplified form goes to infinity. For the second one you haven't really said how 'n' is involved. Are there limits on your integral? You can't really integrate it in terms of elementary functions. A comparison test might be useful.

Related to Convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence

1. What is the definition of convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence?

The convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence refers to the behavior of a sequence as its terms approach a fixed value or limit. It is a way to determine if a sequence will eventually approach a specific value or if it will diverge and not approach any fixed value.

2. How is the convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence determined?

The convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence is determined by evaluating the limit of the sequence as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the sequence is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the sequence is said to diverge.

3. What are some examples of indeterminate forms of a sequence?

Some examples of indeterminate forms of a sequence include 0/0, ∞/∞, and 0*∞. These forms arise when the limit of a sequence cannot be determined by simply plugging in the value of the variable.

4. What is the significance of convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence?

The convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence is significant because it allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence as its terms approach a fixed value or limit. This is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it helps us understand the behavior of functions and systems.

5. How can the convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence be used in real-world applications?

The convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence can be used in real-world applications such as modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing the behavior of physical systems. It helps us understand how a system or process will behave over time and can aid in decision making and problem solving.