Convergence of an Integral Involving Lebesgue Measure and Sine Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the limit of an integral involving a continuous integrand and Lebesgue measure. There is a disagreement about whether the integrals are well-defined, and it is suggested to use a limit process to evaluate the integral. However, it is pointed out that the order of limits cannot be exchanged in this case. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the Monotone Convergence Theorem to solve the problem.
pawlo392
Hello. I have problem with this integral :
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty } \int_{\mathbb{R}^+} \left( 1+ \frac{x}{n} \right) \sin ^n \left( x \right) d\mu_1[/tex] where ## \mu_1## is Lebesgue measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since the integrand is continuous in x for each n>0, you can safely use the standard Riemann integral. So -set [itex]I_{n}=\int_{0}^{\infty}(1+\frac{x}{n})\sin^{n}(x)dx=\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin^{n}(x)dx+\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x}{n}\sin^{n}(x)dx [/itex]. The first integral is trivial, use partial integration on the second.

@Svein: I'm quite sure these integrals are not well-defined, especially for (but not limited to) even n.

mfb said:
@Svein: I'm quite sure these integrals are not well-defined, especially for (but not limited to) even n.
I agree that a proof might be a little hairy, but it depends on fixing an upper limit (K) in the integrals, then letting n→∞ (use an ε, n argument). These limits are independent of K.

Another thought: You could also argue that as n→∞ sinnx →o a. e.

But the integrals
pawlo392 said:
[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^+} \left( 1+ \frac{x}{n} \right) \sin ^n \left( x \right) d\mu_1[/tex] where ## \mu_1## is Lebesgue measure
diverge for each ##n## (to ##+\infty## if ##n## is even, not even to that if ##n## is odd), and it makes no sense to take the limit of a sequence whose elements are not defined. The limit expression is therefore meaningless.

Likes mfb
Exactly. If we could take the limit for n to infinity first it would work, but that is not the problem statement.

Likes Erland
mfb said:
Exactly. If we could take the limit for n to infinity first it would work, but that is not the problem statement.
Well, somehow it is.
  1. Any integral of the type [itex] \int_{0}^{\infty}f(x)d\mu[/itex] is in reality a limit process: [itex]\lim_{A\rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{A}f(x)d\mu [/itex]
  2. I propose that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{A}(1+\frac{x}{n})\sin^{n}(x) d\mu = 0 [/itex] independent of A.
  3. The reason for this is that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sin^{n}(x) [/itex] is 0 everywhere except for [itex]x=m\cdot \pi [/itex], m any integer.
  4. Thus the limit in point 2 is proved.
  5. As A→∞, m does likewise. But still [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sin^{n}(x) [/itex] is 0 everywhere except for a countable number of points.

@Svein: You cannot do this. The problem statement can be expressed as
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \lim_{A\rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{A}(1+\frac{x}{n})\sin^{n}(x) d\mu$$
This is not the same as
$$\lim_{A\rightarrow \infty} \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{A}(1+\frac{x}{n})\sin^{n}(x) d\mu$$
You try to evaluate the second expression. To do that you have to show that the two expressions are equal. Often you can exchange the order of limits, but this here is an example where you cannot.

An easier example would be:
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \lim_{c\rightarrow 0} \int_{c}^{1} max(n-xn^2,0) dx = 1/2$$
$$\lim_{c\rightarrow 0} \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int_{c}^{1} max(n-xn^2,0) dx = 0$$

Likes Erland and FactChecker
I admit that my specialty lies in another field (complex function algebras - 50 years ago), but I have checked my copy of Royden: Real Analysis. There are several theorems that I think can be applied, such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem (observing that [itex]\left\lvert \int f(x)\sin^{n}(x)d\mu \right\rvert\leq \int \left\lvert f(x)\right\rvert\ \left\lvert \sin^{n}(x)\right\rvert\ d\mu [/itex]).

That doesn't help if both sides are undefined for every n.

Likes Erland
Thanks everyone for help.

Related to Convergence of an Integral Involving Lebesgue Measure and Sine Functions

1. What is Lebesgue measure?

Lebesgue measure is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or extent of a set in n-dimensional space. It is a generalization of the concept of length, area, and volume to higher dimensions.

2. How is Lebesgue measure different from other measures, such as the Riemann integral?

Lebesgue measure differs from other measures in that it is defined in terms of the notion of outer measure, which takes into account the entire set rather than just its boundary. This allows for a more flexible and rigorous approach to measuring sets, particularly those that are not easily described using traditional methods.

3. What is the connection between Lebesgue measure and Lebesgue integral?

Lebesgue measure is used to define the Lebesgue integral, which is a generalization of the Riemann integral. The Lebesgue integral is better suited for measuring the size of more complex sets, and it allows for the integration of a wider range of functions than the Riemann integral.

4. How is Lebesgue measure used in real-world applications?

Lebesgue measure has many practical applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where it is used to measure sets and functions that are not easily described using traditional methods. It is also used in probability theory and statistics to measure the likelihood of events occurring.

5. What are some of the key properties of Lebesgue measure?

Some key properties of Lebesgue measure include its translation invariance, which means that the measure of a set is not affected by shifting it in space, and its countable additivity, which means that the measure of a countable union of disjoint sets is equal to the sum of their individual measures.