Convergence of a Taylor Series

In summary, the largest subset of the complex plane in which the Taylor series representation of tanh(z) at the point z = 1 converges is B(1,(1/2)sqrt(4 + pi^2)). This is determined by the distance to the nearest singularity, which is z = pi*i/2.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Suppose that: sum [a_n (n-1)^n] is the Talyor series representation of tanh(z) at the point z = 1. What is the largest subset of the complex plane such that this series converges?

Note: 'sum' represents the sum from n=0 to infinity

Homework Equations

tanh(z) = sinh(z)/cosh(z) ; cosh(z) = 0 for z = pi*i/2

B(C,R) is the open ball centered at C and with radius R

d(x,y) is the distance between x and y

The Attempt at a Solution

So the series is centered at z = 1 and the first place that tanh(z) is not analytic (expanding from z = 1) is at the point z = pi*i/2. so I can create an open ball of radius d(1,pi*i/2) and this is the largest subset of convergence.

d(1,pi*i/2) = (1/2)sqrt(4 + pi^2)

so the largest subset in which the Taylor series converges is B(1,(1/2)sqrt(4 + pi^2))

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that would be correct. The radius of convergence is the distance to the nearest singularity. Did you have a question?

Related to Convergence of a Taylor Series

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function and is made up of polynomial terms.

What is Convergence of a Taylor Series?

Convergence of a Taylor Series refers to the behavior of the series as more terms are added. If the series approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases, it is said to converge. If the series does not approach a specific value, it is said to diverge.

How is the Convergence of a Taylor Series determined?

The convergence of a Taylor Series can be determined by using various tests such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, or the Integral Test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the series and determine if the series converges or diverges.

Why is Convergence of a Taylor Series important?

Convergence of a Taylor Series is important because it allows us to approximate a function with a finite number of terms. This is useful in many applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and its properties.

What factors affect the Convergence of a Taylor Series?

The convergence of a Taylor Series is affected by the function being approximated, the point at which the series is centered, and the number of terms used in the series. In some cases, the series may only converge for a certain range of values or may not converge at all.