Convergence of a Taylor Series: Finding the Values of x

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of x in which a given series converges and constructing the summation part. It also mentions using the Taylor series expansion for ex and checking the terms to determine convergence. The participant expresses some uncertainty but is reassured that their approach is correct.
ThatOneGuy45

Homework Statement

For this problem I am to find the values of x in which the series converges. I know how to do that part of testing of convergence but constructing the summation part is what I am unsure about.

I am given the follwing:
1 + 2x + [itex]\frac{3^2x^2}{2!}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{4^3x^3}{3!}[/itex]+ ...

Homework Equations

I looked up online about the taylor series expansion for ex because I noticed it looked familiar and compared it with the series

The taylor series for ex is:
1 + x + [itex]\frac{x^2}{2!}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{x^3}{3!}[/itex]+ ...=Ʃ[itex]^{∞}_{n=0}[/itex][itex]\frac{x^n}{n!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was pretty much just put [itex]\frac{(n+1)^nx^n}{n!}[/itex] and checked the terms to see if it works. It seems to work but I am just a bit unsure. I haven't worked with this stuff in a while so I just want to be sure if I did that part right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct. You should be able to see if it converges using the ratio test, just be careful with the limit.

Related to Convergence of a Taylor Series: Finding the Values of x

What is a Taylor series and why is it important?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It allows us to approximate the value of a function at any point using its derivatives. This is important because it allows us to simplify complicated functions and make calculations easier.

How do you verify a Taylor series?

To verify a Taylor series, you need to compare it to the original function and check if the terms in the series match the terms in the function. This can be done by taking the derivatives of the function and plugging in the values into the Taylor series. If the values match, then the series is verified.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a generalization of a Maclaurin series. A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the center of the series is at x = 0. This means that the Maclaurin series only uses non-negative powers of x, while a Taylor series can use both positive and negative powers.

Why is it important to check the convergence of a Taylor series?

The convergence of a Taylor series tells us how accurate the approximation of the function will be. If the series converges, then the approximation will be close to the actual value of the function. If the series does not converge, then the approximation will not be accurate and may diverge.

Can a Taylor series represent any function?

No, not all functions can be represented by a Taylor series. In order for a function to have a Taylor series representation, it must be infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion. This means that it must have derivatives of all orders at that point.