Convergence of a sequence of integers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a Cauchy sequence of integers is eventually constant. The participants suggest starting from the definition of a Cauchy sequence and choosing an epsilon that gives the desired conclusion. It is then pointed out that the sequence consists of integers, meaning there is a minimum distance between elements. This realization helps to complete the proof.
Fizz_Geek

Homework Statement

Given a Cauchy sequence of integers, prove that the sequence is eventually constant.

2. Relevant Definitions and Theorems

Definition of Cauchy sequences and convergence
Monotone convergence
Every convergent sequence is bounded
Anything relevant to integers

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see why the theorem is true. I thought that, since the sequence in nonempty and bounded, the supremum and infimum of the set containing the sequence both exist and that the limit of the sequence must be a number between the infimum and the supremum. But I got stuck trying to prove that the limit is contained within that set (that the limit is also an integer). I don't know if it's my approach that's leading me to a dead end or if there's a theorm I've overlooked or something else entirely. Maybe I'm making it overly complicated? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the definition of Cauchy sequence. Choose epsilon<1. Conclude.

Start from the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

It usually starts "For all epsilon greater than zero, [...]"
Can you choose an epsilon that gives your conclusion?

Mathnerdmo said:
Start from the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

It usually starts "For all epsilon greater than zero, [...]"
Can you choose an epsilon that gives your conclusion?

I'm afraid I don't see what directon either of you are going in. As far as I know, the definition of a Cauchy sequence allows me to make the distance between members of the sequence small--it doesn't make it zero, which is what I need for the sequence to be constant for large n.

The point Tinyboss and Mathnerdmo are making is that the sequence consists of integers.

Mark44 said:
The point Tinyboss and Mathnerdmo are making is that the sequence consists of integers.

And what does that mean for my proof?

It says that there is some minimum distance between elements in the sequence.

Mark44 said:
It says that there is some minimum distance between elements in the sequence.

Oh! That's right! Thanks so much!

Related to Convergence of a sequence of integers

1. What is the definition of convergence of a sequence of integers?

The convergence of a sequence of integers is the property of a sequence where the terms of the sequence approach a fixed value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is convergence of a sequence of integers different from convergence of a sequence of real numbers?

Convergence of a sequence of integers is a special case of convergence of a sequence of real numbers. The difference lies in the type of numbers being used in the sequence. In a sequence of integers, only whole numbers are used, while in a sequence of real numbers, any type of number can be used.

3. How is the limit of a sequence of integers calculated?

The limit of a sequence of integers is calculated by taking the limit of the difference between consecutive terms in the sequence. This difference should approach 0 as the number of terms increases, indicating that the terms are getting closer and closer to a fixed value.

4. Can a sequence of integers have more than one limit?

No, a sequence of integers can only have one limit. This is because the limit represents the fixed value that the terms of the sequence are approaching as the number of terms increases. If a sequence has more than one limit, it would not be approaching a single fixed value.

5. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence of integers?

A convergent sequence of integers has a limit, meaning that the terms of the sequence approach a fixed value. A divergent sequence of integers does not have a limit, meaning that the terms of the sequence do not approach a fixed value but instead increase or decrease without bound.