Convergence of a sequence, {(-1)^n}n>=1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the sequence {(-1)n} for n>=1 does not converge. The attempt at a solution involves defining two subsequences and discussing their convergence, but it is pointed out that this is not a valid approach. The conversation then suggests using the Cauchy definition of convergence and arriving at a contradiction, but there is some uncertainty about how to do so. Ultimately, it is concluded that the original attempt at a solution is a valid proof.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Prove that {(-1)n} n>=1 does not converge

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If i define two subsequences, say {(-1)2n} = A and {(-1)2n+1} =B of that original sequence, then
A converges to 1 and B converges to -1 ?

Is this correct at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
missavvy said:

Homework Statement

Prove that {(-1)n} n>=1 does not converge

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If i define two subsequences, say {(-1)2n} = A and {(-1)2n+1} =B of that original sequence, then
A converges to 1 and B converges to -1 ?

Is this correct at all?
The sequence {(-1)2n} converges to 1, and the other sequence converges to -1, but A and B aren't sequences (they're numbers), so you shouldn't talk about them converging.

What about assuming that {(-1)n}, for n>=1, converges, and arriving at a contradiction?

Hm okay, so should I use the cauchy definition of convergence? (If yes, how would I put the "limit" in?)

In your OP you showed that you have two subsequences that converge to different limits. This indeed shows that our series cannot be convergent. To me, it's a valid proof...

Am I making a mistake here??

Related to Convergence of a sequence, {(-1)^n}n>=1

What is the definition of convergence in a sequence?

Convergence in a sequence means that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a single value as the index increases. In other words, the sequence has a limit.

What is the limit of the sequence {(-1)^n}n>=1?

The sequence {(-1)^n}n>=1 does not have a limit. This is because the terms alternate between -1 and 1, and do not approach a single value.

Is the sequence {(-1)^n}n>=1 convergent or divergent?

The sequence {(-1)^n}n>=1 is divergent. This is because the terms do not approach a single value, and instead alternate between two values.

How can you determine if a sequence is convergent?

A sequence is convergent if the terms get closer and closer to a single value as the index increases. Mathematically, this can be shown by taking the limit of the sequence and seeing if it exists and is a finite value.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence in a sequence?

Absolute convergence means that the series converges when the absolute values of the terms are used. Conditional convergence means that the series only converges when the original terms (both positive and negative) are used.