Convergence in Uniform and L2 sense, function interpretation

In summary, the function gn(x) converges in the L2 sense but not pointwise. The function is constant on specific intervals depending on whether n is odd or even. When considering the L2 convergence, the integrals of the function and its piecewise portions all equal 0, thus showing convergence. However, when considering pointwise convergence, the function does not seem to converge to any specific value as n increases. This is because the function is only non-zero on short intervals, making it difficult to determine the limit.
trap101
Let:

gn(x) = 1 in [1/4 - 1/n2 to 1/4 + 1/ n2) for n = odd
1 in [3/4-1/n2 to 3/4 + 1/n2) for n = even
0 elsewhere

Show the function converges in the L2 sense but not pointwise.

My issue is in how I should use the definition of convergence because in all of the definitions of convergence between uniform, L2 and pointwise they all follow the similar rule of:

|f(x) - Ʃfn(x)| --> 0

I am having issues in determining my f(x) for the difference because fn(x) will be 1 depending on "n" being odd or even, so what would my exact value of f(x) be even though I am comparing the whole function?

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Let:

gn(x) = 1 in [1/4 - 1/n2 to 1/4 + 1/ n2) for n = odd
1 in [3/4-1/n2 to 3/4 + 1/n2) for n = even
0 elsewhere

Show the function converges in the L2 sense but not pointwise.

You haven't told us on what interval. I'm guessing ##[0,1]##?

My issue is in how I should use the definition of convergence because in all of the definitions of convergence between uniform, L2 and pointwise they all follow the similar rule of:

|f(x) - Ʃfn(x)| --> 0

I am having issues in determining my f(x) for the difference because fn(x) will be 1 depending on "n" being odd or even, so what would my exact value of f(x) be even though I am comparing the whole function?

This problem has nothing to do with sums. Have you drawn a picture of the functions for n even and n odd? Does that give you an idea of what function ##g(x)## that ##g_n(x)## might converge to in ##L^2##? Can you calculate ##\|g_n-g\|_2## to get started?

LCKurtz said:
You haven't told us on what interval. I'm guessing ##[0,1]##?

This problem has nothing to do with sums. Have you drawn a picture of the functions for n even and n odd? Does that give you an idea of what function ##g(x)## that ##g_n(x)## might converge to in ##L^2##? Can you calculate ##\|g_n-g\|_2## to get started?

Well first off I am going to assume that my "n" could only be positive integers. In the odd case the smallest value I could have for my "n" is 1 and in the even case it is 2, so my odd value interval startz at -3/4 and the even one starts at 1/2 since n goes to infiniti, these intervals end at 1/4 and 3/4 respectively. Now I just drew it, and on those intervals the function is a constant. So is it wise to interpret this as the function is 1 on these intervals, and the series is attempting to converge to this? In which case I could say f(x) = 1 and since the piece wise portions also equal 1 in terms of the series, using the defintion I could show the integrals all equal 0...thus convergence.

they did not give an interval so I am assuming -∞ to ∞

Let me say it again: There is no summation and there is no series in this problem. You just have a sequence of functions and you are talking about whether ##g_n\to g## for some ##g(x)##, either pointwise or in ##L^2##. It doesn't matter whether the interval is ##[0,1]## or ##(-\infty,\infty)## because your functions are 0 except on short intervals.

Look at, for example, just even values of n. As those even values get larger, does ##g_n(x)## look like it converges pointwise to anything? Draw ##g_2,g_4,g_6## on the same graph and see what you think.

[Edit] I just noticed your title talks about uniform convergence but your post talks about pointwise vs. ##L^2##. They aren't the same thing, you know...

[Edit+] What about the sequences ##\{g_n(\frac 1 4)\}## and ##\{g_n(\frac 3 4)\}##?

Last edited:

Related to Convergence in Uniform and L2 sense, function interpretation

What is convergence in uniform sense?

Convergence in uniform sense refers to a type of convergence in the context of a sequence of functions. It means that the functions in the sequence approach each other uniformly, meaning that the difference between their values at any given point becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence progresses.

What is convergence in L2 sense?

Convergence in L2 sense also refers to a type of convergence in the context of a sequence of functions. However, it is based on the concept of the L2 norm, which measures the distance between two functions. Convergence in L2 sense means that the L2 norm between the functions in the sequence becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence progresses.

What is the difference between convergence in uniform sense and L2 sense?

The main difference between convergence in uniform sense and L2 sense is in the metric used to measure the convergence. In uniform sense, the convergence is based on the pointwise difference between functions, while in L2 sense, it is based on the L2 norm between functions.

How is function interpretation related to convergence?

Function interpretation is the process of understanding the behavior and properties of a function. In the context of convergence, function interpretation helps us to understand how a sequence of functions converges in terms of their behavior and properties.

Why is convergence important in mathematics and science?

Convergence is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to study and analyze the behavior of functions and sequences of functions. It plays a key role in fields such as calculus, analysis, and statistics, and is essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems and processes.