Convergence for Infinite Series

In summary, the given series \frac{1}{1 . 2} +\frac{1}{2 . 3}+\frac{1}{3 . 4}+\frac{1}{4 . 5}... converges to a sum of 1. This can be shown by rewriting the series using partial fractions, which allows for the use of the property of a telescoping series. The resulting series can then be simplified to \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1 + \frac{1}{n+1}), which converges to 1.
roam
1. Examine the series [tex]\frac{1}{1 . 2} +[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2 . 3}+[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{3 . 4}+[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{4 . 5}...[/tex] for convergence.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The following is the book's answer:

"[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}S_{n}[/tex]
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (1 - \frac{1}{n + 1}) = 1 - 0 = 1[/tex]
Hence the series converge and its sum is 1. "

From [tex]S_{n} = [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{1 . 2} +[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2 . 3}+[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{3 . 4}+[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{4 . 5}...[/tex]

I can see that the nth term is [tex]\frac{1}{n . (n+1)}[/tex] but I can't follow how the book's obtained the "[tex]1 - \frac{1}{n + 1}[/tex]" or th nth partial sum.

I appreciate some help. Unfortunently there are no explanations in the book on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
try splitting [itex]\frac{1}{n . (n+1)}[/itex] into partial fractions, then use the property of a telescoping series.

try splitting [itex]\frac{1}{n . (n+1)}[/itex] into partial fractions, then use the property of a telescoping series.

Is this correct:

[tex](\frac{1}{1} \times \frac{1}{2}) + (\frac{1}{2} \times \frac{1}{3}) + (\frac{1}{3} \times \frac{1}{4}) + (\frac{1}{4} \times \frac{1}{5}) + ... + (\frac{1}{n} \times \frac{1}{n + 1})[/tex]

I still don't understand how to reach [tex]1 - \frac{1}{n + 1}[/tex]

Did you rewrite 1/[n(n+1)] using partial fractions? Doesn't seem like you have. You just wrote out the first few terms and the n-th term.

[tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

Now you got:

[tex](1 - \frac{1}{2})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4})+...+(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]

What can you assume?

Oh, thanks. Now I understand what rockfreak was saying about splitting it into partial fractions.

[tex](1 - \frac{1}{2})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4})+...+(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]

What can you assume?

Now I can test for convergence in [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+a})[/tex] but the book says we need to have "[tex]1 - \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]" & I'm not sure where I can find it from.

No... look at what he wrote you see how for -1/2 there's a 1/2, for -1/3 there's a 1/3, etc. so what are you left with?

I believe the original post gave you 2 suggestions:
1) Use partial fractions.
2) Use properties of telescoping series.

1) was done for you by the Russian devil, now do part 2)

Yes, they will cancel out and the series simply equal 1 therefore the series converge to one. I'll go & try some more examples & hopefully I think I learned the idea of "telescoping series"!

Thanks very much :)

roam said:
Yes, they will cancel out and the series simply equal 1 therefore the series converge to one. I'll go & try some more examples & hopefully I think I learned the idea of "telescoping series"!

Thanks very much :)

No, look again.

There are [itex]1 + \frac{1}{n+1}[/itex] left.

Now you got [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1 + \frac{1}{n+1})[/tex].

Because [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{n+1})=0[/tex]

you got what? :smile: (rhyme)

Last edited:
Дьявол said:
[tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

Hold on here for a moment!

:bugeye:

In the original post i can see that the series is actually

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n.(n+1)}=\frac{1}{1.2}+\frac{1}{2.3}+\frac{1}{3.4}+...[/tex]

and not

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{1}{1*2}+\frac{1}{2*3}+\frac{1}{3*4}+...[/tex]

There is a difference, don't u think? There certainly is a difference, unless the OP actually wanted to write the second one.

(To the OP:which one is it?)

He meant . as a a multiplication symbol, what he probably should have used was \cdot

NoMoreExams said:
He meant . as a a multiplication symbol, what he probably should have used was \cdot

Well, yeah, that's what i was thinking too, since it isn't that easy to evaluate the sum of the other seires, unless we sought for some relation to a specific case of a Taylor expansion, or something like that.

Hi StupidMath! Yes, like NomoreExams said I meant a multiplication symbol.

Sorry Dyavol, I forgot.

[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (1 - \frac{1}{n+1}) = 1 - 0 = 1[/tex]

Hence the series converges and its sum is 1.

Related to Convergence for Infinite Series

1. What is convergence for infinite series?

Convergence for infinite series is when the sum of all the terms in a series approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges?

There are several convergence tests, such as the ratio test, comparison test, and integral test, that can be used to determine if an infinite series converges. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when the series converges regardless of the order of the terms, while conditional convergence only occurs when the series converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. Absolute convergence is a stronger form of convergence and guarantees that the series will converge to the same value regardless of the order of the terms.

4. Can an infinite series converge to different values?

No, an infinite series can only converge to one value. If an infinite series converges, it will always converge to the same value, regardless of the order of the terms. However, if a series diverges, the terms may appear to be approaching different values.

5. Why is it important to study convergence for infinite series?

Convergence for infinite series is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering. Understanding the behavior of infinite series helps us make predictions and solve problems in these fields. Additionally, determining convergence can also help us determine the accuracy and reliability of numerical approximations of infinite series.