Convergence by Comparison Test

In summary, the conversation discusses using the comparison test to prove the convergence of a series, but the direct comparison test does not work. The limit comparison test is suggested as an alternative and it is shown that the series can be compared with a constant times 1/n^2 where the constant is greater than 2. The use of this comparison is debated, but it is ultimately deemed acceptable as it follows from a theorem.
vanceEE

Homework Statement

Use $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n^2}$$ to prove by the comparison test that $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{n+1}{n^3} $$ converges.

Homework Equations

$$\sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{n+1}{n^3} \equiv \sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n^2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ \frac{1}{n^3} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$ \frac{n+1}{n^3} < \frac{1}{n^2}$$
$$ n + 1 < n $$
$$ 1 < 0 $$ which is false.
I cannot prove the convergence of the series by direct comparison with 1/n2, correct? The series is a sum of 2 p-series (p > 1) so it is clearly a convergent series and can be shown by limit comparison with 1/n2, but I cannot see how I can prove this by direct comparison because there is no way that 1/n2 + 1/n3 is less than 1/n2 if n > 0...

Physics news on Phys.org
vanceEE said:
I cannot see how I can prove this by direct comparison because there is no way that 1/n2 + 1/n3 is less than 1/n2 if n > 0...

True, but can you show 1/n2 + 1/n3 is less than some constant times 1/n2?

Looks like direct comparison test doesn't work, but it's possible that "comparison test" in the problem could also refer to the limit comparison test -- see if that works instead.

jackarms said:
Looks like direct comparison test doesn't work, but it's possible that "comparison test" in the problem could also refer to the limit comparison test -- see if that works instead.

The problem was referring to direct comparison; limit comparison does in fact work as I stated in my original post. I'm aware that I'm dealing with a convergent series, but I just wanted to confirm whether or not direct comparison with 1/n2 is inconclusive.

AlephZero said:
True, but can you show 1/n2 + 1/n3 is less than some constant times 1/n2?

Yes, that seems feasible.
##\frac{n+1}{n^3} < c(\frac{1}{n^2}) ##
##\frac{n+1}{n^3} < \frac{c}{n^2} ##
##1 + \frac{1}{n} < c##
##\frac{1}{n} < c-1 ## if c > 2.

Let c = 3
## \frac{n+1}{n^3} < 3(\frac{1}{n^2}) ##
## n^3 + n^2 < 3n^3 ##
## 1 + \frac{1}{n} < 2 ##
## \frac{1}{n} < 1 ## for all n > 1.

Therefore, ##\frac{n+1}{n^3} < \frac{c}{n^2} ## where c > 2,
but I'm still kinda iffy about this, because I'm asked to prove the convergence with 1/n2.

Last edited:
assume the sum 1/n^2 converges. for each positive integer n, (n+1)/n^3 = 1/n^2 + 1/n^3 which is less than or equal to 2/n^2. and the sum of 2/n^2 converges since each term in the sequence of partial sums equals 2 times the corresponding term in the sequence of partial sums for 1/n^2. (there is a theorem that states that if (xn) is a sequence of real numbers that converges to L, then the sequence (a * xn) where a is a real number converges to a * L).

vanceEE said:
but I'm still kinda iffy about this, because I'm asked to prove the convergence with 1/n2.

Well, we don't know how pedantic your math lecturer is.

But I would have thought that if you are told that ##\sum\frac{1}{n^2}## converges, it seems perfectly reasonable to use the fact that ##\sum\frac{2}{n^2}## also converges.

Related to Convergence by Comparison Test

1. What is the convergence by comparison test?

The convergence by comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. It states that if the terms of a series are always less than or equal to the terms of a convergent series, then the series must also be convergent. Similarly, if the terms of a series are always greater than or equal to the terms of a divergent series, then the series must also be divergent.

2. How is the convergence by comparison test used?

To use the convergence by comparison test, we first need to identify a known convergent or divergent series to compare our series to. Then, we compare the terms of our series to the terms of the known series and use the result to determine the convergence or divergence of our series.

3. What is the intuition behind the convergence by comparison test?

The intuition behind the convergence by comparison test is that if the terms of a series are always less than or equal to (or greater than or equal to) the terms of a known convergent (or divergent) series, then the series must have a similar behavior and also be convergent (or divergent).

4. What are the limitations of the convergence by comparison test?

The convergence by comparison test can only be used for series with non-negative terms. It also requires the identification of a known convergent or divergent series, which may not always be easy to find. Additionally, it may not work for series where the terms are not comparable to the terms of a known series.

5. Can the convergence by comparison test be used to prove absolute convergence?

Yes, the convergence by comparison test can be used to prove absolute convergence. If the terms of a series are always less than or equal to the terms of an absolutely convergent series, then the original series must also be absolutely convergent. However, the converse is not always true, as a series can be absolutely convergent but not converge by comparison to another series.