Convergence and Continuity of Cauchy Sequences with Fixed Points

In summary, we are given a function f that satisfies the property |f(x)-f(y)| ≤ λ|x-y| for all x and y in [a,b] where 0<λ<1. To prove that f is continuous, we choose an arbitrary point Xo in [a,b] and define a sequence (Xn) such that Xn+1 = f(Xn). Using the given property, we can show that this sequence is convergent and its limit L is a fixed point of f, where f(L)=L. By applying the function property to all x's in the sequence, we can prove that f is continuous.
manooba
Let f : [a,b] → [a,b] satisfy

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ λ|x-y|

where 0<λ<1. Prove f is continuous. Choose any Xo ε [a,b] and for n ≥ 1 define X_n+1 = f(Xn). Prove that the sequence (Xn) is convergent and that its limit L is a 'fixed point' of f, namely f(L)=L

Physics news on Phys.org
The continuity part seems pretty straightforward, unless I'm mistaken. Let c be an arbitraty point in [a, b]. Let ε > 0 be given. Let δ = ε. Them for all x such that |x - c| < δ, we have: |f(x) - f(c)| <= ...

radou said:
The continuity part seems pretty straightforward, unless I'm mistaken. Let c be an arbitraty point in [a, b]. Let ε > 0 be given. Let δ = ε. Them for all x such that |x - c| < δ, we have: |f(x) - f(c)| <= ...

reckon you can help me further please i am really struggling

manooba said:
reckon you can help me further please i am really struggling

No. You must make your own efforts on homework problems. We are not here to solve the questions for you. We will help you as soon as you make an attempt.

Well, you initially begin with
[tex]\left|x_2 - x_1\right|=\left|f(x_1) - f(x_0)\right|\le \lambda\left|x_1 - x_0\right|[/tex]
if you take one more step down the sequence, you can see that
[tex]\left|x_3 - x_2\right|=\left|f(x_2) - f(x_1)\right|\le \lambda\left|x_2 - x_1\right|\le \lambda^2\left|x_1 - x_0\right|[/tex]
I don't think it's difficult to see how this generalizes.

Can you see how this implies the sequence is Cauchy? What do we know about Cauchy sequences? Finally, what do we know about the limit of a sequence in a continuous function?

And for the first part, can you continue where I wrote "..."? What does your function satisfy, by defintion?

radou said:
And for the first part, can you continue where I wrote "..."? What does your function satisfy, by defintion?

sorry the answers no :/
satisfy's |f(x)-f(y)| ≤ λ|x-y) where 0<λ<1

Last edited:
manooba said:
satisfy's |f(x)-f(y)| ≤ λ|x-y) where 0<λ<1

OK. Now, we're looking at all x such that |x - c| < δ, right? So, apply your function property to these x's...

radou said:
OK. Now, we're looking at all x such that |x - c| < δ, right? So, apply your function property to these x's...

ok i get that, so what do i plug into the x's?

I already gave you the initial push in post #2 after "we have:". You only need to adjust your function inequality a bit now.

lknkjn

Related to Convergence and Continuity of Cauchy Sequences with Fixed Points

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence goes on. This means that for any small number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the numbers are within that small distance of each other.

2. What is convergence of a Cauchy sequence?

Convergence of a Cauchy sequence means that the sequence approaches a specific limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as the sequence progresses.

3. What is continuity of a Cauchy sequence?

Continuity of a Cauchy sequence means that the sequence does not have any sudden jumps or breaks. This means that the sequence follows a smooth and continuous pattern without any gaps or interruptions.

4. What are fixed points in a Cauchy sequence?

Fixed points in a Cauchy sequence refer to the points in the sequence that do not change or converge to a specific limit as the sequence goes on. These points are "fixed" in their value and do not change despite the progression of the sequence.

5. Why is convergence and continuity important in Cauchy sequences with fixed points?

Convergence and continuity are important in Cauchy sequences with fixed points because they ensure that the sequence is well-behaved and follows a predictable pattern. These properties also allow us to make accurate predictions and inferences about the behavior of the sequence, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.