Convergence and Boundary Points in Power Series

In summary: So the radius of convergence is 1, but the series converges at x=1.In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a power series and a question about the terms of the series. The speaker suggests pulling out a term and adding it to the series to rectify a problem, but questions if this will affect the results of a convergence test. The conversation then moves on to discussing the radius of convergence for a complex variable and the potential inclusion of a singularity point in the radius. The expert responds that determining the radius of convergence does not include points on the boundary and uses the example of log(1+x) to illustrate this concept.
buffordboy23
I have defined a power series about the point a = 1 as,

[tex] f\left(a\right)= \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\left(-1\right)^{n}\left[-\frac{1}{\left(e-1\right)^{n}}+\frac{1}{\left(e-1\right)^{n+1}}\right]\left(a-1\right)^{n}[/tex]

The terms of the power series are correct for all n, except n = 0. I need n = 0 to be equivalent to

[tex] \frac{1}{\left(e-1\right)} [/tex]

which is not, since a -1 accompanies it. The only way I can think of rectifying this problem is pulling the term outside of the summation sign and adding it to the summation series over n = 1 to infinity. Is it possible to write this power series without doing this procedure? I tried different ideas but no luck. Also, if I do decide to pull out this term, would it later affect the results of a ratio test for convergence? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just put it outside the summation. Keep it simple. No finite number of terms can affect the result of any convergence test. You only care about the limit n -> infinity.

Thanks Dick.

Here is another question. Suppose "a" represents a complex variable. According to Taylor's theorem, the power series expansion of my original function (not shown) has a radius of convergence given by

[tex] \left|a-1\right| < R [/tex]

where R is the distance to the nearest singularity from the point a = 1--this will give me two boundary values of the complex variable "a" for which the series converges. If I establish convergence when both of the boundary values are placed into my power series of the last post and although one of the boundary values is the point of the singularity itself, does this imply that the radius of convergence then equals the radius R? The textbook did not make this distinction, and I wonder if a radius of convergence can include the point of singularity. Obviously, the series will be divergent for a > R.

Determining the radius of convergence is R tells you nothing about points on the boundary. You have to consider them separately. The classic example is the expansion of log(1+x). At x=-1 it's divergent (no surprise, that's a singularity). At x=1 it's an alternating series converging to log(2).

Related to Convergence and Boundary Points in Power Series

What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function in terms of a variable raised to consecutive powers. It takes the form of a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... where an is a constant coefficient and x is the variable. It is an infinite sum that converges to a specific value within a certain interval of x values.

What is the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence is the range of x values for which the power series converges. It is determined by the ratio test, which compares the absolute value of the constant coefficients to the n-th root of n times the absolute value of the n+1-th coefficient. If the ratio is less than 1, the power series converges within that interval.

How do you find the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series does not converge. It is determined by the formula R = 1 / L, where L is the limit of the ratio test as n approaches infinity. Alternatively, it can also be found by using the root test, which takes the n-th root of the absolute value of each coefficient and takes the limit as n approaches infinity.

What is the difference between a power series and a Taylor series?

A power series is a specific type of Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms involving the values and derivatives of the function at a single point. A Taylor series can be used to approximate a function within a certain interval, while a power series converges to a specific value within a certain interval.

How is a power series used in real-world applications?

Power series are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They can be used to approximate complicated functions, solve differential equations, and model real-world phenomena. For example, power series are used in electrical engineering to model the behavior of circuits and in economics to model population growth. They are also used in statistics and data analysis to fit curves to data points and make predictions.