Controlled Spring Like Mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a mechanism that acts like a spring but does not snap back like a traditional spring. The speaker has experimented with automatic door closers but found them to be unsuitable due to their high force requirements and space constraints. They are considering using springs in parallel with a device like a pneumatic cylinder to control the return action, with the goal of requiring only 10lbs of force and expanding 5-10 inches. The application of this mechanism is not specified.
swightness
I have a need for a mechanism that acts juust like a spring (I pull, load it up, and when i let go it pulls away and returns to its normal length), but doesn't snap back like a spring.

I have experiemented with automatic door closers, but they are definatly not the answer (require too much force to pull, take too much space, too long)

Is there already a mechanism? Should i just use springs in parallel with a device like a pneumatic cylinder to control the return action? Idealy the system will only require a human to apply ~10lbs of force, and the spring/mechanism will expand ~5-10 inches, and when released, will contract with similar amount of force required to load the device

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the application?

Related to Controlled Spring Like Mechanism

1. What is a controlled spring-like mechanism?

A controlled spring-like mechanism is a mechanical system that utilizes springs to store and release energy in a controlled manner. This mechanism is commonly used in various devices such as shock absorbers, door closers, and suspension systems.

2. How does a controlled spring-like mechanism work?

A controlled spring-like mechanism works by compressing and expanding a spring in a controlled manner to store and release energy. This is achieved through the use of a control system, such as a valve or motor, which regulates the movement of the spring.

3. What are the advantages of using a controlled spring-like mechanism?

The use of a controlled spring-like mechanism allows for precise control over the release of energy, making it ideal for applications where a smooth and controlled motion is necessary. It also provides a cost-effective solution for storing and releasing energy compared to other methods.

4. What are some common applications of a controlled spring-like mechanism?

Controlled spring-like mechanisms are commonly used in automotive and industrial applications, such as shock absorbers, suspension systems, and door closers. They are also used in medical devices, toys, and various other consumer products.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using a controlled spring-like mechanism?

One potential drawback of using a controlled spring-like mechanism is that it can be affected by external factors such as temperature and wear and tear, which may impact its performance over time. Additionally, the design and implementation of a controlled spring-like mechanism can be complex and require precise engineering.