Control the rotation of several discs along the same axis

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenge involving controlling the rotation of multiple discs along the same axis. The idea of using a "key" along the axis to lock different slices is brought up, but there are concerns about the slices not being steady. It is suggested to use solenoids at each slice to individually lock them to the shaft, allowing for simultaneous movement of multiple slices. The details of the size, speed, and contact of the slices are also mentioned as important considerations.
cidadao
Hi everyone,

I have an engineering background, I'm an EE, but I know almost nothing about mechanics and that's why I'm writing here.

This is the challenge: how to control the rotation of multiple discs along the same axis? Assume you have a sliced cylinder. The ideal scenario would be to control every slice independently, but to make things easier I think it helps to consider that you can move them in a fixed number of combinations and on the same direction (e.g. a mechanism that enables to rotate the top and bottom cylinders at the same time and same direction - combination #1 - and the inner ones in the same way - combination #2 - but not as the same time as #1).

Any idea on how to accomplish this?

I though I could use something like a "key" along the axis/shaft/rod. By moving it up/down it would lock different discs/slices. Not sure if this is a good idea. One issue I can see with this one, is that the slices that weren't locked by the "key" could be rotating freely and I want them to be steady.

PS: the less motors required the better (that's an important detail I assumed in my previous text but that may not be obvious)

Engineering news on Phys.org
How big? How fast? Are the slices in contact? How steady to they need to be when un-driven?

Use a solenoid at each slice to lock them individually to the shaft. You then have the ability to move any number at the same time.

BoB

Related to Control the rotation of several discs along the same axis

1. How can I control the rotation of multiple discs along the same axis?

In order to control the rotation of multiple discs along the same axis, you will need to use a motor or mechanism that is connected to all of the discs. By using a motor, you can control the speed and direction of rotation for all of the discs simultaneously.

2. Can I control the rotation of each disc separately?

Yes, it is possible to control the rotation of each disc separately by using individual motors or mechanisms for each disc. This would allow for more precise and independent control over the rotation of each disc.

3. Are there any limitations to the number of discs that can be controlled along the same axis?

The number of discs that can be controlled along the same axis will depend on the strength and capabilities of the motor or mechanism used. It is important to consider the weight and size of the discs when choosing an appropriate control mechanism.

4. Can I change the axis of rotation for each disc?

Yes, you can change the axis of rotation for each disc by adjusting the positioning of the motor or mechanism. However, this may require additional hardware or modifications to the system.

5. Is it possible to synchronize the rotation of multiple discs using this control method?

Yes, by using a synchronized motor or mechanism, it is possible to control the rotation of multiple discs simultaneously. This would allow for coordinated and precise movements of the discs along the same axis.