Contravariant vectors and Transformation Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of displacement vectors in a change of coordinate system, specifically in the context of tensors and General Relativity. The equation for this transformation is mentioned and an example with a 2D Cartesian coordinate system is used to explain it. The conversation also includes a recommendation for a book on tensors and a clarification on the transformation equations. Finally, the correct values for the partial derivatives of the displacement vector are determined.
ashwinnarayan

Homework Statement

This is me doing some independent study on Tensors because I eventually hope to understand General Relativity.

My question is about the following equation which describe hoe the components of a displacement vector transform when there is a change in the coordinate system.

[itex]d{y}^1 = \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^1} dx^1 + \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^2} dx^2[/itex]

To understand with and example, I drew out a normal 2D Cartesian Coordinate system with the axes [itex]x^1[/itex] and[itex] x^2 [/itex] and drew a new coordinate system with axes [itex]y^1[/itex] and [itex]y^2[/itex]. This new coordinate system was just the x system rotated anticlockwise by 30 degrees. I drew a displacement vector which went from (1,1) to (2,2) essentially a displacement vector of [itex](dx^1,dx^2)[/itex]

Since I already know linear algebra fairly well, I used the inverse transformation of a clockwise rotation of 30 degrees
[itex]
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{1}{2} \\
\frac{-1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \\
\end{array} \right)
[/itex]
to find the values of [itex]y^1[/itex] and [itex]y^2[/itex] and got
[itex] dy^1 =\frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} dx^2 + \frac{1}{2} dx^2 [/itex]

Now try as I might I cannot seem to be able to figure out how the heck [itex] \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^1} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^2} = \frac{1}{2} [/itex]

Can someone help me out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. If you're doing tensors this book (it's free) is the single best book I've read on introducing the subject
http://www.math.odu.edu/~jhh/counter2.html

2. if the equation you wrote for [itex]dy^1[/itex] is correct then [itex]\frac{\partial y^1}{\partial x^1} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex] \frac{\partial y^1}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]
I think you may have mixed you indices up, try writing out the transformation equations in the form of
[itex]y^1 = f_1(x^1)+g_1(x^2)[/itex]
[itex]y^2 = f_2(x^1)+g_2(x^2)[/itex]
it'll help you out a lot

Oh! I'm really sorry! :frown: It should have been

[itex]dy^1 =\frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} dx^1 + \frac{1}{2} dx^2[/itex]

And that book is really good. Thanks!:biggrin:

About trying to write the equation in that format I think the problem maybe that I'm not writing it down correctly.

In my coordinate system transformation (which I've attached) am I right in saying that

[itex] y^1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}x^1 [/itex] because [itex]y^1[/itex] is essentially a straight line with a gradient of [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]?

Attachments

• coord.png
    coord.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 203
Yeah, if [itex]dy^1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} dx^1 + \frac{1}{2}dx^2[/itex] then your partial derivatives are correct since the partial derivative with respect to one variable is just what you get when you set the 'd'*other variables to zero

For your transformation equation, think about what happens to your position in the y coordinates as you increase x1 then when you increase x2, each time you change your x1 coordinate you are changing your position in both of the y coordinates, if you understand what I mean.

if you move from x1=0 to x1=3, you've increase your y1 position but you've also decreased your y2 position since you are not below the y1 axis

Ah! I think I get it!

I've been considering the cartesian equation instead of the vector equation!

So [itex] y^1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} x^1 + \frac{1}{2} x^2 [/itex] !

Then I can get [itex]\frac{∂y^1}{∂x^1} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{∂y^1}{∂x^2} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Yes, I get it now. Thanks a lot for helping me!

Related to Contravariant vectors and Transformation Equations

1. What are contravariant vectors?

Contravariant vectors are mathematical objects that represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity. They are defined by their components, which are defined with respect to a set of basis vectors.

2. How are contravariant vectors transformed?

Contravariant vectors are transformed using transformation equations, which describe how the components of a vector change when its coordinate system is changed. These equations involve multiplying the original components by a transformation matrix.

3. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant vectors?

The main difference between covariant and contravariant vectors is how they transform under a change of coordinate systems. While covariant vectors transform by multiplying their components by the inverse transformation matrix, contravariant vectors transform by multiplying their components by the transformation matrix.

4. Why are transformation equations important in physics?

Transformation equations are important in physics because they allow us to relate physical quantities in different coordinate systems. This is essential in understanding and describing physical phenomena, as different coordinate systems may be more convenient or applicable to different situations.

5. What are some real-world applications of contravariant vectors and transformation equations?

Contravariant vectors and transformation equations are used in various fields of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity. They are also utilized in engineering and computer graphics to describe and manipulate the orientation and movement of objects in three-dimensional space.