Contour Integration and Residues: Solving Complex Integrals for Summation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of contour integration to evaluate the sum (2) and (3) by considering the integral of a function (1) around a large circle that avoids singularities. The equations (1), (2), and (3) are provided as well as the attempt at a solution. The speaker is struggling with where to start and how to go from the contour to the summation, but the expert provides guidance on finding contours and using the residues to solve the problem.
Airsteve0

Homework Statement

Consider the integral of the function (1) around a large circle of radius R>>b which avoids the singularities of ([itex]e^{z}[/itex]+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex]. Use this result to determine the sum (2) and (3).

Homework Equations

(1) - f(z) = [itex]\frac{1}{(z^2-b^2)(e^z+1)}[/itex]
(2) - [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2+a^2}[/itex] from 1 to ∞
(3) - [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2}[/itex] from 1 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the basics of contour integration and using residues to evaluate them; however, with this particular question I am lost at where I should start. I think that the contour should be a circle obvioulsy but going from the contour to the summation has me confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Airsteve0 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the integral of the function (1) around a large circle of radius R>>b which avoids the singularities of ([itex]e^{z}[/itex]+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex]. Use this result to determine the sum (2) and (3).

Homework Equations

(1) - f(z) = [itex]\frac{1}{(z^2-b^2)(e^z+1)}[/itex]
(2) - [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2+a^2}[/itex] from 1 to ∞
(3) - [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2}[/itex] from 1 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the basics of contour integration and using residues to evaluate them; however, with this particular question I am lost at where I should start. I think that the contour should be a circle obvioulsy but going from the contour to the summation has me confused.

The idea is that your function has poles at z=(2n+1)*pi*i for all n and at z=b and z=(-b). For large circle which avoids those singularities the contour integral will equal the sum of the residues of those poles times (2*pi*i). Now if you can argue that as R->infinity the contour integral goes to zero, then the infinite sum of (2n+1)*pi*i residues will be equal to minus the sum of the residues from the b and -b poles. That's how you get a formula for an infinite sum.

why is it that the the sum of the residues of one set of poles is equal to minus the sum of the other?

Airsteve0 said:
why is it that the the sum of the residues of one set of poles is equal to minus the sum of the other?

Because if the value of contour integral goes to zero as R->infinity then the sum of all of the residues must go to zero. If you split them into two sets then the sum of those two sets must be zero.

ah ok, thanks I will see what I can do

Airsteve0 said:
ah ok, thanks I will see what I can do

Good luck! The residue part is actually not that hard. Do that first. Be careful with the argument that you can find contours whose integral goes to 0 as R goes to infinity. I thought that was the hardest part.

Related to Contour Integration and Residues: Solving Complex Integrals for Summation

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral in the real plane, but the difference is that the complex integral involves integration along a complex path instead of a real interval.

2. How is a complex integral calculated?

A complex integral is calculated using the Cauchy integral formula, which involves integrating a function along a path in the complex plane. This formula takes into account the function's values at all points along the path, including its derivatives.

3. What are the applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common applications include calculating work done by a force field, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional shape, and solving differential equations.

4. What are the challenges of working with complex integrals?

One of the main challenges of working with complex integrals is the need to choose an appropriate integration path. This can be a complex and time-consuming task, especially for functions with multiple poles or branch cuts. Another challenge is dealing with singularities, which can cause issues with convergence and accuracy.

5. How do complex integrals relate to the concept of contour integration?

Contour integration is a specific type of complex integration that involves integrating along a closed contour in the complex plane. This method is particularly useful for evaluating complex integrals that cannot be calculated using standard integration techniques. In some cases, contour integration can also be used to simplify the calculation of complex integrals.