Contour integral of e^(-1/z) around a unit circle?

In summary, the integral of e-1/z around a unit circle centered at z = 0 is -2πi. The poles of this function are at i and - i. The residues I calculate are: i = exp(πi/4) and -i = exp(-πi/4).
CrimsonFlash

Homework Statement

What is the integral of e-1/z around a unit circle centered at z = 0?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The Laurent expansion of this function gives : 1 - 1/z + 1/(2 z^2) - 1/(3! z^3) + . . . . .
The residue of the pole inside is -1.
So the integral should be = -2πi

Is this right? Also, aren't there infinitely many poles or infinitely high order of the pole at z = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
CrimsonFlash said:
Also, aren't there infinitely many poles or infinitely high order of the pole at z = 0?
So what? The residue is enough to find the answer, and it looks right to me.

CrimsonFlash said:

Homework Statement

What is the integral of e-1/z around a unit circle centered at z = 0?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The Laurent expansion of this function gives : 1 - 1/z + 1/(2 z^2) - 1/(3! z^3) + . . . . .
The residue of the pole inside is -1.
So the integral should be = -2πi

Is this right? Also, aren't there infinitely many poles or infinitely high order of the pole at z = 0?

Remember that the contour integral

$$\oint_{|z| = R} \frac{dz}{z^n}$$
around a circle of radius R centered at the origin is zero for any ##n \neq 1##. You can show this explicitly by the change of variables ##z = \exp(i\phi)##. (You can also show the integral is ##2\pi i## for n = 1 this way).

So, as long as you can exchange the sum with the integral (which you can in this case), all terms but the residue term will integrate to zero.

CrimsonFlash said:
yeah, you got it right. And yes, it is a pole of infinitely high order (an essential singularity). But this is not a problem. If there were infinitely many poles, then there would be a problem. But you can see for yourself that for this case, the singularity is isolated. Imagine removing the point z=0, then are the other points around it holomorphic?

CrimsonFlash said:
Also, aren't there infinitely many poles or infinitely high order of the pole at z = 0?

No. There is not even one pole. Poles are finite-ordered singular points. Rather, the singular point at the origin is an essential singularity with infinite order.

Ok, thanks everyone. Also, can you help me with the following:
f(z) = sqrt(z)/(1+z^2) = sqrt(z)/[(i+z)(z-i)]
The poles of this are at i and - i. The residues I calculate are:
For i := sqrt(i)/(2i) = exp(πi/4)/(2i)
For -i := sqrt(-i)/(-2i) = exp(-πi/4)/(-2i)

Bur WolframAlpha says otherwise. The i shouldn't be there in the denominator. But I can't see how to get rid of them...

1/i = -i, does that help?
And you can evaluate exp(πi/4) if you like.

Never mind, I got what I was looking for.
Thanks anyway.

Related to Contour integral of e^(-1/z) around a unit circle?

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral used in complex analysis to calculate the values of complex functions along a path in the complex plane. It involves integrating a complex-valued function along a given curve or contour.

2. What is the significance of e^(-1/z) in the contour integral around a unit circle?

The function e^(-1/z) is of particular interest in complex analysis because it has an essential singularity at z=0. This means that the function cannot be extended to be analytic at this point, making it a useful tool for studying the behavior of complex functions near singularities.

3. Why is the contour integral around a unit circle important?

The contour integral around a unit circle is important because it allows for the evaluation of complex functions at points inside the circle by using the values of the function on the boundary of the circle. This technique, known as Cauchy's integral theorem, has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. How is the contour integral of e^(-1/z) around a unit circle calculated?

The contour integral of e^(-1/z) around a unit circle can be calculated using the Cauchy integral formula, which states that the integral is equal to 2πi times the value of the function at its singular point, in this case z=0. This involves parameterizing the circle and performing a line integral over the curve.

5. What are the applications of the contour integral of e^(-1/z) around a unit circle?

The contour integral of e^(-1/z) around a unit circle has many applications in complex analysis, including calculating residues and solving complex differential equations. It is also used in solving problems in physics, such as calculating the electric potential due to a charged disk. Additionally, it has applications in number theory, as it can be used to evaluate certain types of infinite sums.