Contour integral involving gamma function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral by closing a contour in the complex plane using the residue theorem. The initial choice of a semicircle contour is rejected due to the integral not vanishing in the limit. The question then arises about how to determine the best contour for a given problem. It is suggested that a rectangle contour may work better due to the exponential term in the integral.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral by closing a contour in the complex plane $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx e^{iax^2/2}$$

Homework Equations

Residue theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial choice of contour was a semicircle of radius R and a line segment from -R to R. In the limit R to infinity, I would hopefully recover the integral in OP. But then I realized this was going to work because the integral over the semicircle would not vanish when R tended to infinity. My question is, what is the best way to see what the best contour should be for a given problem and how to determine the one right for this problem?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By symmetry, you could conside only a semi infinite integral.
Because of the exponential term, I suggest a rectangle will work better than an arc.

Related to Contour integral involving gamma function

1. What is a contour integral involving gamma function?

A contour integral involving gamma function is an integral that involves the gamma function, which is a special function that extends the factorial operation to complex numbers. The integral is taken along a contour, which is a path in the complex plane.

2. How is the gamma function related to contour integrals?

The gamma function is related to contour integrals because it can be expressed as a contour integral, specifically as an integral along the real line. This relationship is known as the Mellin transform.

3. Why is the gamma function important in contour integration?

The gamma function is important in contour integration because it helps to evaluate complex integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also has many applications in mathematics and physics, such as in the study of complex analysis and the calculation of complex probabilities.

4. Can the gamma function be extended to other functions?

Yes, the gamma function can be extended to other functions, such as the beta function and the incomplete gamma function. These extensions are useful in solving more complex integrals involving the gamma function.

5. Are there any practical applications of contour integrals involving gamma function?

Yes, there are many practical applications of contour integrals involving gamma function. Some examples include calculating the area under a curve, evaluating complex probabilities, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.