Continuous (non-discrete) Quantum States

In summary, James Binney is a tough teacher, but I love how many misconceptions he points out, and some of the points he makes are very subtle and mind blowing when the lightbulb comes on. His lectures on iTunes University are definitely worth checking out.
kq6up
I am watching James Binney's QM lectures on iTunes University, and also going through his free textbook. He is a tough teacher, but I love how many misconceptions he points out, and some of the points he makes are very subtle and mind blowing when the lightbulb comes on.

I am confused on this point in his lectures:

He states that ##| \psi \rangle =\int _{ -\infty }^{ \infty }{ dx\psi (x)| x \rangle } ## is an analogy to the discrete state ## | \psi \rangle=\sum _{ i }^{ all }{ a_i | E_i \rangle } ##. Binney uses the lower case psi to describe the complete state that is formed out of the basis static states ##E_i##.

I am sure he is correct, but I need to some baby steps to make a conceptual bridge between the two equations.

Anyone care to flush this out for me?

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
The continuous basis is given by ##| x \rangle## and the projection of ##|\psi \rangle## along the basis ##| x \rangle## is just ##\psi(x) \equiv \langle x | \psi \rangle##. The correspondence from the discrete to continuous case is then ##| n \rangle \rightarrow |x \rangle## and ##a_n \rightarrow \psi(x)##. Lastly, in ##|\psi \rangle = \sum _n a_n |n \rangle## we are summing over the discrete label ##n## in discrete steps ##n \rightarrow n +1 ## corresponding to the discrete spectrum ##|n \rangle##. For ##|x \rangle## we have a continuous label ##x## in infinitesimal "steps" ##dx## so we simply replace the sum with an integral over ##dx## since, very loosely speaking, a sum over a continuous label is nothing more than an integral. This correspondence gives us ##|\psi \rangle = \int dx \psi |x \rangle##.

This replacement of sums with integrals for continuous cases is not special to QM of course. We do it all the time in physics, both classical and quantum. In fact in statistical mechanics one makes this replacement as if it was second nature when calculating partition functions of various quantum systems or when carrying a partition function into the classical limit. However in QM since we are often dealing with operators, one must be much more careful when making such heuristic transitions from discrete to continuous spectra.

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
The continuous basis is given by ##| x \rangle## and the projection of ##|\psi \rangle## along the basis ##| x \rangle## is just ##\psi(x) \equiv \langle x | \psi \rangle##.

I get the part below, but I am struggling with your first line. Because the example that pops into my mind for the discrete static states ## |n \rangle ## are the different eigenfunctions for the harmonic oscillator. I am not sure how you would make those states continuous. The functions jump between integer powers of x as you increase n. Is there an example of discrete basis states that can turn into a continuous state on some sort of limit like you suggest?

The correspondence from the discrete to continuous case is then ##| n \rangle \rightarrow |x \rangle## and ##a_n \rightarrow \psi(x)##. Lastly, in ##|\psi \rangle = \sum _n a_n |n \rangle## we are summing over the discrete label ##n## in discrete steps ##n \rightarrow n +1 ## corresponding to the discrete spectrum ##|n \rangle##. For ##|x \rangle## we have a continuous label ##x## in infinitesimal "steps" ##dx## so we simply replace the sum with an integral over ##dx## since, very loosely speaking, a sum over a continuous label is nothing more than an integral. This correspondence gives us ##|\psi \rangle = \int dx \psi |x \rangle##.

This replacement of sums with integrals for continuous cases is not special to QM of course. We do it all the time in physics, both classical and quantum. In fact in statistical mechanics one makes this replacement as if it was second nature when calculating partition functions of various quantum systems or when carrying a partition function into the classical limit. However in QM since we are often dealing with operators, one must be much more careful when making such heuristic transitions from discrete to continuous spectra.

This part is ok. I understand the analogy between the integral and the summation.

Thanks,
Chris

kq6up said:
Is there an example of discrete basis states that can turn into a continuous state on some sort of limit like you suggest?

Consider a particle in a finite box of size ##L##. As usual we impose periodic boundary conditions on the solutions of the Schrodinger equation in this box. This results in a discrete spectrum of eigenfunctions ##\psi_{\vec{n}}(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{L^{3/2}}e^{2\pi i (\vec{n}\cdot \vec{x})/ L}##. Note that ##\vec{P} \psi_{\vec{n}} = -i\hbar \vec{\nabla}\psi_{\vec{n}} = \frac{2\pi \hbar}{L}\vec{n}\psi_{\vec{n}}## so these are also eigenfunctions of the momentum operator with eigenvalues ##\vec{p} = \frac{2\pi \hbar}{L}\vec{n}## or equivalently ##\vec{k} =\frac{2\pi }{L}\vec{n}## in terms of the wave-vector ##\vec{k}## of each Fourier mode.

We can therefore rewrite the eigenfunctions explicitly as Fourier modes ##\psi_{\vec{k}} = \frac{1}{L^{3/2}}e^{i (\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x})}##; note that the distance between adjacent momentum eigenvalues goes like ##|\Delta k_i | \sim \frac{1}{L}##. Now consider the limit ##L \rightarrow \infty##. Then in this limit ##|\Delta k_i| \ll |k_i|## i.e. the distance between adjacent momentum eigenvalues becomes vanishingly small compared to the momentum eigenvalues themselves when we let the box size go to infinity. This means ##\Delta k_i \sim dk_i## so ##\psi(x) = \sum_{\vec{k}}a_{\vec{k}}\psi_{\vec{k}} \sim \int d^3 k a_{\vec{k}}\psi_{\vec{k}}## which is in fact a solution to the Schrodinger equation for a free particle. The above limiting procedure is called box normalization.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, that does help indeed. Is the x operator always treated as continuous? That is -- under the integrand and not the summation?

Chris

This one is killer. I could just accept it and move on, but I am sure there may be some juicy insight into not just taking it to the bank because Dr. Benny said so. That is:

##I|\psi \rangle=\int{dx|x\rangle \langle x | \psi \rangle}## where I is the identity operator. I get this if I use an orthonormal vector basis (e.g. ##I=|\hat{e_n}\rangle \langle \hat{e_m}|## where ##e_n e_m=0 \quad when \quad m\neq n##).

However, understanding this when ##\hat{x}## is continuous is hard for me to conceive.

Chris

##|x \rangle## forms a complete set of eigenstates so ##\int dx |x \rangle \langle x| = \mathbb{1}##. This is a result of the spectral theorem for self-adjoint operators (which the position operator ##X## is on suitable domains for given boundary conditions): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-adjoint_operator#Spectral_theorem

And yes, ##| x \rangle## is always a continuous basis.

Likes 1 person
kq6up said:
This one is killer. I could just accept it and move on, but I am sure there may be some juicy insight into not just taking it to the bank because Dr. Benny said so. That is:

##I|\psi \rangle=\int{dx|x\rangle \langle x | \psi \rangle}## where I is the identity operator. I get this if I use an orthonormal vector basis (e.g. ##I=|\hat{e_n}\rangle \langle \hat{e_m}|## where ##e_n e_m=0 \quad when \quad m\neq n##).

However, understanding this when ##\hat{x}## is continuous is hard for me to conceive.

Chris

Use
[tex]\delta ( x - y ) = \langle x | y \rangle \ ,[/tex]
[tex]\psi ( x ) = \langle x | I | \psi \rangle = \langle x | \psi \rangle ,[/tex]
and
[tex]\psi ( y ) = \langle y | \psi \rangle \ ,[/tex]
in
[tex]\psi ( x ) = \int d y \ \delta ( x - y ) \ \psi ( y ) .[/tex]
you find
[tex] \langle x | \left( I \right) | \psi \rangle = \langle x | \left( \int d y \ | y \rangle \langle y | \right) | \psi \rangle \ .
[/tex]

Sam

Related to Continuous (non-discrete) Quantum States

What is a continuous (non-discrete) quantum state?

A continuous quantum state is a state in quantum mechanics where the possible values of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, can take on any value within a given range. This is in contrast to a discrete quantum state, where the possible values are limited to specific discrete values.

How are continuous quantum states represented mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, continuous quantum states are represented by wave functions, which are mathematical functions that describe the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. These wave functions are represented by complex numbers and can be used to calculate the expectation value of a physical quantity.

What is the significance of continuous quantum states?

Continuous quantum states play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. They allow us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a specific state and make predictions about its behavior. Continuous quantum states are also essential in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.

How are continuous quantum states observed and measured?

Continuous quantum states cannot be observed directly, as they represent probabilities rather than actual physical quantities. However, they can be measured indirectly through techniques such as quantum interference, which allows us to observe the effects of a particle's wave function. Other methods, such as quantum tomography, can also be used to reconstruct a particle's wave function and measure its quantum state.

What is the difference between continuous quantum states and classical states?

Continuous quantum states and classical states differ in their underlying principles. Classical states follow the laws of classical mechanics, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. In contrast, continuous quantum states follow the laws of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Additionally, classical states are deterministic, meaning that the state of a system can be precisely determined, while continuous quantum states are probabilistic, meaning that the state of a system can only be described in terms of probabilities.