Continuous functions on dense subsets

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that if f : E -> Y is continuous on a dense subset E of a metric space X, then there is a continuous function g: X -> Y such that g(z) = f(z) for all z element of E. The attempt at a solution involves trying to find a counterexample, but it is ultimately determined that the statement is true. However, a counterexample is provided where E=]0,1] and X=[0,1], showing that the statement is not always true.
Eulogy
Hi, can someone give me pointers on this question

Homework Statement

Prove or provide a counterexample: If f : E -> Y is continuous on a
dense subset E of a metric space X, then there is a continuous function
g: X -> Y such that g(z) = f(z) for all z element of E.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the statement is true or not. I have tried to find counter-examples using continuous functions on the rationals or irrationals. For example f: Q -> R , f(x) = x. This is continuous for every x in Q. However it is easy to find a mapping g: R -> R which is continuous and g(z) = f(z) for all z element of Q. ie given by g(x) = x. I am yet to find a counter-example (in R anyway). However if the statement holds I'm not to sure how I would begin to prove it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a reason you can't find a counter-example!

Let a be a point in X that is not in E. Since E is dense in X, there exist a sequence of points, [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] in E that converges to a. Show that, since f is continuous in E, the sequence [itex]\{f(x_n}\}[/itex] converges and define that limit to be f(a).

There is a counterexample.

Take E=]0,1] and X=[0,1].

Can you find a function on E whose limit to 0 does not exist?

Thanks guys, makes a lot more sense now!

Related to Continuous functions on dense subsets

What is a continuous function on a dense subset?

A continuous function on a dense subset is a function that is defined on a subset of a larger space and has the property that it can be continuously extended to the entire larger space. In other words, the function has no "holes" or "jumps" in its graph and can be drawn without lifting the pen.

How is a continuous function on a dense subset different from a continuous function on the entire space?

While both types of functions have the property of being "smooth" and having no sudden changes in their graph, a continuous function on a dense subset is only defined on a smaller subset of the space. This means that it may not have the same behavior or values at points outside of the subset.

What is the importance of continuous functions on dense subsets in mathematics?

Continuous functions on dense subsets are important in many areas of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and functional analysis. They allow us to study and understand the behavior of functions on a smaller, more manageable subset of a larger space.

Can all functions on a dense subset be extended to the entire space?

No, not all functions on a dense subset can be extended to the entire space. For example, the function f(x) = 1/x is continuous on the dense subset (0,1), but cannot be extended to the entire real line without introducing a discontinuity at x=0.

What are some examples of continuous functions on dense subsets?

Some examples of continuous functions on dense subsets include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and rational functions. These functions are all defined and continuous on their respective domains, but can also be extended to larger spaces in a continuous manner.