Continuous functions are borel

In summary, the problem is to prove that a given function f on the interval (a,b) is a Borel function, where Ω = (a,b) and F = ((a,b) ∩ B(R)) with B(R) being the Borel sigma algebra. The strategy is to use the fact that for a continuous function, f^-1(G) is open for any open set G. This can be applied to show that {x in (a,b) | f(x) < c} is in F.
stukbv

Homework Statement

Take f: (a,b) --> R , continuous for all x0in (a,b)
and take (Ω = (a,b) , F = ( (a,b) [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B(R)) where B(R) is the borel sigma algebra
Then prove f is a borel function

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that continuity of f means that for all x in (a,b) and all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |x-x0| < δ implies |f(x)-f(x0| < ε

And I want to show that {x in (a,b) s.t f(x) < c } is in F

But Then I am stuck, how would I use these facts to help me ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about continuous functions?? Do you know that for a continuous function and G open that [itex]f^{-1}(G)[/itex] is open??

Related to Continuous functions are borel

What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A continuous function is one that maintains its value at all points within its domain. This means that as the input to the function changes, the output changes in a smooth and continuous manner.

What is the Borel sigma algebra?

The Borel sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that are generated by a specific collection of intervals. In the context of continuous functions, the Borel sigma algebra is used to classify sets of real numbers that can be mapped to by a continuous function.

Why is it important for a continuous function to be Borel?

Continuous functions that are Borel have the property that the preimage of any Borel set is also a Borel set. This is important because it allows for the application of certain mathematical techniques, such as integration, to continuous functions. Additionally, Borel functions have desirable properties that make them easier to work with in mathematical analysis.

How can I determine if a function is continuous and Borel?

To determine if a function is continuous, you can use the standard definition of continuity, which states that the limit of the function at a point must be equal to the value of the function at that point. To determine if a function is Borel, you can use the preimage property mentioned above. If the preimage of any Borel set is also a Borel set, then the function is Borel.

What are some examples of continuous functions that are Borel?

Some examples of continuous functions that are Borel include polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and rational functions. Additionally, many commonly used functions in statistics, such as the normal distribution function, are continuous and Borel.