Continuity proved by differentiation

In summary, for each rational and irrational, i think at each rational f is discontinuous, but at each irrational f is continuous. However, applying differentiability does not prove continuity.
losin
f: (0,+inf)->R and

f(x) is

0 if x is irrational

1/n if x is rational (n is positive integer)

For each rational and irrational, i want to show continuity/discontinuity of f

Intuitively, i think at each rational f is discontinuous, and at each irrational f is continuous,

but i cannot figure out how should i apply differentiability to this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
you haven't defined n?

I strongly suspect that this is supposed to be one of the "Dirichlet" examples:

f(x)= 0 if x is irrational, f(x)= 1/n, if x is rational where n is the denominator of x expressed as a fraction in lowest terms. It can be shown that [itex]lim_{x\to a} f(x)= 0[/itex] for all x so, yes, it is continuous for all irrationals. It is not defined at x= 0 but if you define f(0)= 0, it is continuous at x= 0 and discontinuous for all other rationals.

There is no way to "apply differentiability" to this problem, the function is not differentiable.

for f(x)=1/n when x is rational, n is random

so differentiability is not applicable?

since differentiability implies continuity, i tried to use that method..

losin said:
for f(x)=1/n when x is rational, n is random

so differentiability is not applicable?

since differentiability implies continuity, i tried to use that method..

A function can fail to be differentiable but be continuous. On this note, there are functions that are continuous everywhere but differentiable nowhere. So showing that a function is not differentiable, doesn't tell you anything about continuity. It works the other way around. That is, since if a function f is differentiable then it is continuous, it means that if it is not continuous then it is not differentiable.

...and what do you mean 'n' is random? random what?

n is a random positive integer.

and how should i show discontinuity when x is rational?

when i prove 'f is continuous when x is irrational', does it follows that

'for rationals, f is not continuous'...?

Related to Continuity proved by differentiation

1. What is continuity proved by differentiation?

Continuity proved by differentiation is a mathematical concept that shows a function is continuous by using the techniques of calculus, specifically the derivative. It allows us to determine if a function is smooth and unbroken at a given point.

2. How is continuity proved by differentiation used in real-world applications?

Continuity proved by differentiation is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze the rate of change of a system or to determine the maximum or minimum values of a function, which can have practical applications in optimization problems.

3. Can a function be continuous without being differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous without being differentiable at a given point. This means that the function is smooth and unbroken at that point, but the slope or rate of change at that point is undefined or does not exist.

4. What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts. A function is differentiable if it is continuous at a given point and has a well-defined derivative at that point. In other words, if a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

5. How can we prove continuity of a function using differentiation?

To prove continuity of a function using differentiation, we need to show that the function is continuous at a given point and that its derivative exists at that point. This can be done by evaluating the limit of the function as it approaches the point and comparing it to the value of the function at that point. If the two values are equal, the function is continuous and differentiable at that point.