Continuity of multivariable functions

In summary, the function f is defined on the entire xy-plane and has different values at the point (0,0) depending on the given function g. To determine if f is continuous on the whole plane, the limit of f as (x,y) approaches (0,0) must be found. For function c), the limit does not exist and therefore the function is not continuous on the xy-plane. For the other functions, their limits are all 0 and thus they are continuous on the whole plane. This is determined by using the fact that a function's limit exists if and only if it is not dependent on the path taken, and by finding the partial derivatives at any point where they exist.
mreaume

Homework Statement

A function f is defined on the whole of the xy-plane as follows:

f(x,y) = 0 if x=0
f(x,y) = 0 if y = 0
f(x,y) = g(x,y)/(x^2 + y^2) otherwise

a) g(x,y) = 5x^3sin(y)
b) g(x,y) = 6x^3 + y^3
c) g(x,y) = 8xy

For each of the following functions g determine if the corresponding function f is continuous on the whole plane

Homework Equations

A function's limit exists if and only if it is not dependent of the path taken.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the functions are continuous for all values of x and y, the only restriction on the xy plane is at the point (0,0). So I am trying to find the limit of these functions as (x,y) approaches (0,0).

I have done so for c) using the line x=0 and y=x. These produce two different answers. Therefore, the limit of c does not exist at (0,0) and the function is not continuous on the xy plane.

Any tips as to how I should tackle the other ones? I suspect that their limits are 0 (since every path I try gives 0), but I am having a hard time proving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't they continuous at any point where the partial derivatives exist?

Thanks. Turns out I misread the question. I ended up using your tip (partial derivatives) and was able to solve the problem.

Related to Continuity of multivariable functions

What is continuity of a multivariable function?

Continuity of a multivariable function refers to the property where the function remains unchanged as the input values change. In simpler terms, it means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

How is continuity of a multivariable function determined?

There are three criteria for determining continuity of a multivariable function: 1) The function must be defined at the point in question, 2) The limit of the function as it approaches the point must exist, and 3) The limit of the function at the point must be equal to the function value at that point.

Can a multivariable function be continuous at one point but not at others?

Yes, it is possible for a multivariable function to be continuous at one point but not at others. This means that the function may have sudden jumps or breaks at certain points, but it is still considered continuous overall.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability of a multivariable function?

Continuity and differentiability are related but distinct properties of a multivariable function. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of the derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, or differentiable but not continuous.

What are some applications of continuity of multivariable functions in real life?

One example is in physics, where the continuity of a function can help determine the smoothness of a particle's motion. In economics, continuity is used to analyze the demand and supply functions of a market. In engineering, continuity is important in designing smooth and efficient systems. In general, continuity is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields of study.