Continuity of Functions Proof | f and g Continuous at x | h = fg Continuity

In summary, the lemma states that if a function is continuous at a point, then it is bounded on some interval centered at that point. Homework Equation
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Given two functions [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex], if [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex] are continuous at a point [itex] x [/itex], then the function [itex] h = fg [/itex] is continuous at [itex] x [/itex].

Homework Equations

Lemma 1
If a function [itex] f [/itex] is continuous at a point [itex] x [/itex], then f is bounded on some interval centered at [itex] x [/itex]. That is, there exists an [itex] M \geq 0 [/itex] and a [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex] such that for all [itex] y [/itex],
[itex] |x - y| < \delta \implies |f(y)| \leq M. [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex] be functions that are continuous at a point [itex] x [/itex].
Define a new function [itex] h [/itex] as [itex] h = fg [/itex].
Let [itex] \varepsilon > 0 [/itex] and [itex] \delta_1 > 0 [/itex].
If [itex] f(x) = 0 [/itex], then it is trivially true that for all [itex] y [/itex],
[itex] \displaystyle |x - y| < \delta_1 \implies |f(x)||g(x) - g(y)| < \varepsilon, [/itex]
so assume [itex] f(x) \neq 0 [/itex].
Now, suppose [itex] \displaystyle \mu = \frac{\varepsilon}{|f(x)|} [/itex].
Clearly [itex] \mu [/itex] is a positive real number.
Since [itex] g [/itex] is continuous at [itex] x [/itex], for all [itex] \varepsilon [/itex], there exists a [itex] \delta_1 [/itex] such that
[itex] |x - y| < \delta_1 \implies |g(x) - g(y)| < \mu. \quad \quad (1) [/itex]
Let [itex] M = 0 [/itex]. Lemma 1 states that, since [itex] g [/itex] is continuous, there exists a [itex] \delta_2 > 0 [/itex] such that [itex] |x - y| < \delta_2 \implies |g(y)| \leq M = 0. [/itex] So,
[itex] |x - y| < \delta_2 \implies |g(y)| = 0. \quad \quad (2) [/itex]
Let [itex] \delta = \text{min}( \delta_1, \delta_2 ) [/itex]. Then [itex] |x - y| < \delta [/itex] implies
[itex] |h(x) - h(y)| = |f(x)g(x) - f(y)g(y)| [/itex]
[itex] = |f(x)g(x) - f(x)g(y) + f(x)g(y) - f(y)g(y)| [/itex]
[itex] \leq |f(x)g(x) - f(x)g(y)| + |f(x)g(y) - f(y)g(y)| [/itex]
[itex] = |f(x)||g(x) - g(y)| + |g(y)||f(x) - f(y)| [/itex]
[itex] < |f(x)| \mu + 0 = \varepsilon. [/itex] QED

Pointing out any mistakes / giving constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
tylerc1991 said:
Let [itex] M = 0 [/itex]. Lemma 1 states that, since [itex] g [/itex] is continuous, there exists a [itex] \delta_2 > 0 [/itex] such that [itex] |x - y| < \delta_2 \implies |g(y)| \leq M = 0. [/itex] So,

You can't just set M=0. All lemma 1 says is that there exists an M, but that M is potentially very large. You have no control over what value M has. So saying that M=0 is not ok.

Could I say that [itex]M = \frac{\varepsilon}{2|f(x) - f(y)|}[/itex]?
Then [itex]M \geq 0[/itex]

Then I would have to reset [itex]\mu = \frac{\varepsilon}{2|f(x)|}[/itex] in order for everything to cancel and add up to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]

tylerc1991 said:
Could I say that [itex]M = \frac{\varepsilon}{2|f(x) - f(y)|}[/itex]?
Then [itex]M \geq 0[/itex]

Then I would have to reset [itex]\mu = \frac{\varepsilon}{2|f(x)|}[/itex] in order for everything to cancel and add to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]

No, you cannot choose M. You can choose epsilon though.

micromass said:
No, you cannot choose M. You can choose epsilon though.

So the lemma is pretty pointless in this case? Can I try something like:

I know that since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, I can choose a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that

[itex]|x - y| < \delta \implies |f(x) - f(y)| < \frac{\varepsilon}{2|g(y)|}[/itex]?

tylerc1991 said:
So the lemma is pretty pointless in this case? Can I try something like:

I know that since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, I can choose a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that

[itex]|x - y| < \delta \implies |f(x) - f(y)| < \frac{\varepsilon}{2|g(y)|}[/itex]?

No since your "epsilon" is [itex]\frac{\varepsilon}{2|g(y)|}[/itex] and is dependent on y. It shouldn't be dependent on y. It can depend on x, though.

OK, since [itex]g[/itex] is continuous, we may say that there exists a [itex]\delta_1[/itex]

[itex]|x - y| < \delta_1 \implies |g(y)| < |g(x)| + 1[/itex].

Also, since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, there exists a [itex]\delta_2[/itex] such that

[itex]|x - y| < \delta_2 \implies |f(x) - f(y)| < \frac{\varepsilon}{2(|g(x)| + 1)}[/itex].

This would cancel fine and would add to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] in the end, but this way seems so roundabout. Is there no nicer way?

tylerc1991 said:
OK, since [itex]g[/itex] is continuous, we may say that there exists a [itex]\delta_1[/itex]

[itex]|x - y| < \delta_1 \implies |g(y)| < |g(x)| + 1[/itex].

Also, since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, there exists a [itex]\delta_2[/itex] such that

[itex]|x - y| < \delta_2 \implies |f(x) - f(y)| < \frac{\varepsilon}{2(|g(x)| + 1)}[/itex].

This would cancel fine and would add to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] in the end, but this way seems so roundabout. Is there no nicer way?

Thay seems ok! :smile:

Related to Continuity of Functions Proof | f and g Continuous at x | h = fg Continuity

1. What is a continuity proof check?

A continuity proof check is a mathematical method used to prove that a function is continuous over a given interval. It involves verifying the three criteria of continuity: existence, uniqueness, and stability.

2. Why is a continuity proof check important?

A continuity proof check is important because it allows us to determine if a function is continuous, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It is also used in various applications, such as optimization and engineering, to ensure the validity of mathematical models.

3. What are the steps involved in a continuity proof check?

The steps involved in a continuity proof check include:

• Verifying the existence of the function
  • Determining the uniqueness of the function
  • Checking the stability of the function

4. What are some common techniques used in a continuity proof check?

Common techniques used in a continuity proof check include:

• Using the definition of continuity
  • Applying the intermediate value theorem
  • Using the squeeze theorem
  • Applying the limit laws

5. Can a function be continuous over a closed interval but not over an open interval?

Yes, a function can be continuous over a closed interval but not over an open interval. This is because continuity requires that the function be defined and have a limit at every point within the interval. A closed interval includes its endpoints, while an open interval does not, so the function may not have a limit at those endpoints, leading to a discontinuity over the open interval.