Continuity of f(x)=piecewise function

• Thread starter tylersmith7690
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation is discussing the continuity of a piecewise function given by f(x) = x^2 + 4x - 4 for x < a and f(x) = cos((x-a)/2) for x ≥ a. The question is asking for which values of a in the real numbers is the function continuous at x=a. The conversation includes attempts at solving this, with the conclusion that a=1 is the only value that satisfies the condition for continuity.
tylersmith7690

Homework Statement

For which values of a E ℝ, is the function given by

f(x) = pieceise function
x^2+4x-4, x<a
cos((x-a)/2) , x ≥ a.

continuous at x=a

Homework Equations

I'm getting stuck on the algebra part to be honest.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim x→a f(x)= f(a) to be continuous

lim x→a- = x^2+4x-4 and this must be equal to lim x→a+ = cos((x-a)/2)

I think its 1 because cos(1-1/2)=1 and 1+4-4=1

I'm just confused on the working out part, how to I algebraically manipulate the equations to show this? or am I completely wrong.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have the basic idea. You need
$$\lim_{x \to a^-} x^2 + 4x - 4 = \lim_{x \to a^+} \cos\frac{x-a}{2}.$$ So what are the two sides equal to?

Thanks for the reply, I'm guessing the value of (a) in the equation has to be 1 for both sides of the equation to equal 1.
I'm almost certain a=1 for the function to be continuous, just having a hard time showing the working out besides me just putting a=1 into the limit equation.

Thanks again.

Don't plug any value in for a. Just work out what the limits equal in terms of a.

Thank you for your replies, but I literally have no idea of how to solve a, i think its the cosine function that is throwing me off. Any tips for trying to solve it?

Yes, do what I've already suggested twice.

Likes 1 person
tylersmith7690 said:
Thank you for your replies, but I literally have no idea of how to solve a, i think its the cosine function that is throwing me off. Any tips for trying to solve it?

You are given that if [itex]x \geq a[/itex] then [itex]f(x) = \cos((x - a)/2)[/itex]. Therefore [itex]f(a) = \cos((a-a)/2) = \cos(0) = 1[/itex].

tylersmith7690 said:

Homework Statement

For which values of a E ℝ, is the function given by

f(x) = pieceise function
x^2+4x-4, x<a
cos((x-a)/2) , x ≥ a.

continuous at x=a

Homework Equations

I'm getting stuck on the algebra part to be honest.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim x→a f(x)= f(a) to be continuous

lim x→a- = x^2+4x-4 and this must be equal to lim x→a+ = cos((x-a)/2)

I think its 1 because cos(1-1/2)=1 and 1+4-4=1

I'm just confused on the working out part, how to I algebraically manipulate the equations to show this? or am I completely wrong.

thanks in advance.
Quoted for the record.

Please remember to ALWAYS quote the OP's posts.

Related to Continuity of f(x)=piecewise function

What is continuity of a function?

Continuity of a function refers to its smoothness or the lack of any sudden changes or breaks in the graph.

How is continuity of a function determined?

A function is considered continuous if the limit of the function at a point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a function that is defined by different equations for different intervals of the domain.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable at a point.

How do we determine continuity for a piecewise function?

To determine continuity of a piecewise function, we need to check if the function is continuous at each interval and if the values of the different equations match at the boundaries of the intervals.