Continuity of arctan: Proving Limit of zn

• Thread starter looserlama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the problem is to find the limit of zn = Arg(-1 + i/n) as n approaches infinity. This can be solved by converting zn to arctan(-1/n) and using the continuity of arctan. However, to prove the continuity of arctan, one would need to show that its derivative is continuous. This can be done by using the definition of a derivative, which may be difficult.
looserlama

Homework Statement

Let zn = Arg(-1 + i/n). Find limn→∞ zn

Homework Equations

Definition of convergence of a sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well zn = Arg(-1 + i/n) = arctan(-1/n).

So it seems clear that limn→∞arctan(-1/n) = arctan(limn→∞ -1/n) = arctan(0) = [itex]\pi[/itex].

Which is true if arctan is continuous.

There's the problem, I don't know how to prove that arctan is continuous. It seems way more difficult that I expected. I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

How do you show it?

Or can anyone think of another way to find the limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
looserlama said:

Homework Statement

Let zn = Arg(-1 + i/n). Find limn→∞ zn

Homework Equations

Definition of convergence of a sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well zn = Arg(-1 + i/n) = arctan(-1/n).

So it seems clear that limn→∞arctan(-1/n) = arctan(limn→∞ -1/n) = arctan(0) = [itex]\pi[/itex].

Which is true if arctan is continuous.

There's the problem, I don't know how to prove that arctan is continuous. It seems way more difficult that I expected. I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

How do you show it?

Or can anyone think of another way to find the limit?
Well, the derivative of arctan(x) is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^2}\,,[/itex] which is continuous for all x.

If arctan(x) is differentiable, what does that say about its continuity?

Yea if it is differentiable then it's continuous. But I'm guessing I can't just state that the derivative of arctan is 1/(1 + x2).

So I need to prove it.

I've seen the derivation of it, using the triangle, but I don't think that's a legitimate proof is it?

Wouldn't I have to use the definition of a derivative? And that seems really difficult.

Related to Continuity of arctan: Proving Limit of zn

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, a function is continuous if there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph.

2. How is continuity of arctan(z) proven?

The continuity of arctan(z) is proven using the definition of continuity and the properties of the inverse tangent function. By taking the limit as z approaches a specific value, the limit of arctan(z) can be shown to equal the arctan of the limit of z.

3. What is the limit of arctan(z) as z approaches infinity?

The limit of arctan(z) as z approaches infinity is equal to pi/2 or 90 degrees. This can be proven using the definition of continuity and the properties of the inverse tangent function.

4. Can the continuity of arctan(z) be proven using the squeeze theorem?

Yes, the continuity of arctan(z) can be proven using the squeeze theorem. By finding two functions that bound arctan(z) and have the same limit as z approaches the specified value, the squeeze theorem can be applied to show that arctan(z) also has the same limit.

5. Why is proving the continuity of arctan(z) important?

Proving the continuity of arctan(z) is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many applications, such as finding the slope of a curve or determining the area under a curve. It also helps to understand the properties of inverse trigonometric functions and their limits, which are essential in solving more complex mathematical problems.