Continuity and Differentiability of f:R->R

In summary: yessss i just realize that f(0)=f(a*0)=a^lambda f(0), well then i totally get lost...' of course the a in this definition is not the constant in the definition of f(x)yea that's what i think to start with but i can't find f(x) and f(0)
silvetriver

Homework Statement

Mod note: Edited the function definition below to reflect the OP's intent.
Suppose f:R->R is continuous. Let λ be a positive real number, and assume that for every x in R and a>0,f(ax)=aλ f(x). (a) If λ > 1 show that f is differentiable at 0. (b) If 0 < λ < 1 show that f is not differentiable at 0. (c) If λ=1, show that f is differentiable at 0 if and only if it is linear. (Hint: what is f(0)?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering start the question with f(x)-f(0)/x but how can i find the limit when x approaches 0? f(x)=f(1*x)=1^λf(x) f(0)=f(0*x)=0^λf(x)=0, then is f(x)-f(0)/x = f(x)/x? Then how can i know it's differentiable at 0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must set up a limit, epsilon delta style

bubsir said:
how can i use epsilon delta to prove differentiability?

silvetriver said:

Homework Statement

Suppose f:R->R is continuous. Let λ be a positive real number, and assume that for every x in R and a>0,f(ax)=aλ f(x). (a) If λ > 1 show that f is differentiable at 0. (b) If 0 < λ < 1 show that f is not differentiable at 0. (c) If λ=1, show that f is differentiable at 0 if and only if it is linear. (Hint: what is f(0)?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering start the question with f(x)-f(0)/x
You are missing parentheses. What you wrote is ##f(x) - \frac{f(0)}{x}##. I'm pretty sure you meant ##\frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x}##. If you don't use LaTeX like I did, you need to write it as (f(x) - f(0))/x.
silvetriver said:
but how can i find the limit when x approaches 0? f(x)=f(1*x)=1^λf(x) f(0)=f(0*x)=0^λf(x)=0, then is f(x)-f(0)/x = f(x)/x? Then how can i know it's differentiable at 0?
What does ^ mean here? It is often used to indicate exponentiation, as in 2^3 = 8.
Are you using it to indicate "and"?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
You are missing parentheses. What you wrote is ##f(x) - \frac{f(0)}{x}##. I'm pretty sure you meant ##\frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x}##. If you don't use LaTeX like I did, you need to write it as (f(x) - f(0))/x.
What does ^ mean here? It is often used to indicate exponentiation, as in 2^3 = 8.
Are you using it to indicate "and"?
You are right that's what i mean. yea ^ means exponentiation...

"how can i use epsilon delta to prove differentiability?"

Use the definition of the derivative.

silvetriver said:
You are right that's what i mean. yea ^ means exponentiation...
Then I'm really confused now. Where does this come from?
f(x)=f(1*x)=1^λf(x) f(0)=f(0*x)=0^λf(x)=0
I don't see anything in the problem statement about exponents.

In any case, the above is very ambiguous. For example you have 1^λf(x), which I take to mean ##1^{\lambda}f(x)##, according to the normal rules for the order of operations. I don't know why you would have ##1^{\lambda}##, which equals 1, or ##0^{\lambda}##, which equals 0, as you have elsewhere.

Mark44 said:
Then I'm really confused now. Where does this come from?

I don't see anything in the problem statement about exponents.

In any case, the above is very ambiguous. For example you have 1^λf(x), which I take to mean ##1^{\lambda}f(x)##, according to the normal rules for the order of operations. I don't know why you would have ##1^{\lambda}##, which equals 1, or ##0^{\lambda}##, which equals 0, as you have elsewhere.
oh sorry i mistyped the problem. it should be f(ax)=a^lambda f(x) I think 1^lambda=1 because the problem states that lambda>1

eq0002MP.gif
' of course the a in this definition is not the constant in the definition of f(x)

silvetriver said:
oh sorry i mistyped the problem. it should be f(ax)=a^lambda f(x) I think 1^lambda=1 because the problem states that lambda>1
Is it safe to interpret the above as ##f(ax) = a^{\lambda}f(x)##?

Mark44 said:
Is it safe to interpret the above as ##f(ax) = a^{\lambda}f(x)##?
yessss i just realize that f(0)=f(a*0)=a^lambda f(0), well then i totally get lost...

bubsir said:
eq0002MP.gif
' of course the a in this definition is not the constant in the definition of f(x)
yea that's what i think to start with but i can't find f(x) and f(0)

bubsir said:
The OP has to set up a limit, but I don't believe that a delta-epsilon argument is necessary.

Likes bubsir
silvetriver said:
what i think
The nice thing about the definition of derivative AND f(x) is that you only need to find the difference, not the actual function.

Related to Continuity and Differentiability of f:R->R

1. What is the definition of continuity of a function?

Continuity of a function f:R->R means that the function is defined for all real numbers and the limit of the function exists at every point in its domain. In other words, there are no jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a specific point?

A function is continuous at a point x=a if and only if the limit of the function as x approaches a exists and is equal to the value of the function at x=a. In other words, the left-hand and right-hand limits of the function are equal at x=a.

3. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable at certain points. This occurs when there is a sharp corner or cusp in the graph of the function at that point, making the derivative undefined.

4. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, meaning there are no jumps or breaks in the graph. Differentiability, on the other hand, refers to the existence of the derivative of a function at a specific point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous.

5. How can you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable at a point x=a if the limit of the function's difference quotient (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a) exists as x approaches a. The derivative of the function at x=a is equal to this limit. Additionally, a function must be continuous at x=a in order for it to be differentiable at that point.