Continuing in Academia: Physics or Computer Sciences?

In summary, the person is currently pursuing a dual degree in physics and computer sciences and is interested in a career in research. They are concerned about their options after graduation and the possibility of not being able to enter academia. They are also hesitant to stop their studies and are seeking advice on how to handle potential challenges in their career path.
Geranimo
Hi, I'm currently in a physics/computer sciences dual degree and I will finish it in 2 years if everything goes fine. I am interested in physics and computer sciences, and my options after my degree is either to continue in CS or physics. My ideal job would be a researcher but I don't know if I have the personality required to success in such a competitive field.

So there is the problem:

If I get a PhD in physics and can't make it into academia, I'm pretty much ****ed. I know people still manage to get good jobs, but from what I've read, it's not easy.

If I get it in CS and can't make it into academia, I'm also ****ed because from what I've read, the skills developed during PhD do not transfer well into industry.

So.. what would be your advice? I don't really like the idea of stopping my studies early because I love to learn. And I don't want a boring job in industry if I fail to get into academia.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geranimo said:
I don't want a boring job in industry if I fail to get into academia.
Then don't accept a boring industry job. They vary widely. What one person finds boring another finds exciting.

Geranimo said:
don't really like the idea of stopping my studies early because I love to learn.
Learning doesn't stop when you get out of school. You can self study anything you want. Have you actually conducted research yet? If not, you may find you don't like it.

Geranimo said:
nd I don't want a boring job in industry if I fail to get into academia.

If the only thing that will make you happy is a job in academia, then you need to ready yourself for the possibility - indeed, the probability - that you will be unhappy.

Related to Continuing in Academia: Physics or Computer Sciences?

What is the relationship between physics and computer sciences?

The relationship between physics and computer sciences is an interdisciplinary one. Physics provides the foundation for understanding the physical laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy, while computer science applies these principles to develop algorithms and software that can be used to solve complex problems.

How does physics influence advancements in computer science?

Physics has played a major role in the development of computer science. Many concepts and principles from physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, have been applied to create new technologies and improve existing ones. For example, transistors, which are essential components of modern computers, were invented using principles from quantum mechanics.

What is the importance of studying both physics and computer sciences?

Studying both physics and computer sciences allows for a deeper understanding of the natural world and the ability to apply this knowledge to solve real-world problems. It also opens up career opportunities in fields such as data science, robotics, and artificial intelligence.

Can computer simulations be used to study and understand physical phenomena?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to study and understand physical phenomena. By inputting data and equations into a computer program, scientists can simulate the behavior of complex physical systems and test different scenarios to gain a better understanding of the underlying principles.

How is physics used in computer graphics and video games?

Physics plays a crucial role in computer graphics and video games. It is used to create realistic simulations of movement, collisions, and other physical interactions within the game environment. This allows for more immersive and visually appealing gaming experiences.