Continue with Aerospace Engineering or switch to Astrophysics?

In summary, a second year Aerospace Engineering student is questioning if this is the right career path for them, despite their passion for the universe and desire to contribute to space knowledge. They chose Aerospace Engineering due to limited opportunities in Astrophysics, but are now worried about not finding fulfilling work and sacrificing creativity and career progression. They hope to work for companies like Space X, Boeing, or NASA, but fear becoming depressed if not constantly working on space-related projects. They are also concerned about missing out on socialization and friendship opportunities due to studying, and feel they don't fit the stereotypical engineer or physicist mold.
CSpence
I'm a second year Aerospace Engineering student and I'm wondering if this is the best career path for me to take. Since a young kid I've always been fascinated by the universe and everything related to it. I want a career that will let me progress our knowledge of space forward whether it's via engineering, astrophysics, research, etc. The main reason why I've chosen Aerospace Engineering is because there really aren't many career jobs in Astrophysics outside of teaching. However, people like Neil deGrasse Tyson make me extremely motivated to go along the Astrophysics route (If you don't know who he is shame on you). It would be the perfect job but like I said there are very few opportunities to make a decent living in astrophysics.

I'm also afraid that work as an engineer wouldn't be what I want. The last thing I want is to be a pawn for a company and not have any room for creative development or progression through the ladder at the company. If I'm going to become an Aerospace Engineer I want to work on cutting edge space technology, not defense systems or planes. I've heard horror stories of older engineers not being able to find work for numerous reasons or having a "boring" engineering job and I don't want that issue. I would LOVE to work for companies like Space X, Boeing, NASA etc. if I'll be constantly immersed in space-related work. Otherwise I'll eventually get tired of my career and become depressed.

On the subject of depression, sometimes I get really down because it seems all I'm doing is studying and studying for hours on end while my close friends are out partying, socializing, and enjoying their life. Now I'm not saying that I'm not enjoying my life because I am, but some times the endless studying can bring my spirits down. I've met a lot of really cool physics/engineering students in school so far, but being around them 24/7 is boring to say the least. I don't want to go all the way through school missing out on tons of socialization and friendship opportunities because I had to study for countless nights. There are also NO cute girls in our Engineering/Physics department. I'm a very social guy and I don't fit the mold of an engineer or physicist at all: I play sports, work out a lot, club, party etc. but I'm also very smart. I feel like I was destined to work in a space related field but I didn't know it would be such a lonely path. Any advice would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
CSpence said:
I would LOVE to work for companies like Space X, Boeing, NASA etc. if I'll be constantly immersed in space-related work.

I don't want to go all the way through school missing out on tons of socialization and friendship opportunities because I had to study for countless nights.

Look at these two sentences. You can do both with proper time-management, but you may have to sacrifice one or the other at times. Reevaluate your priorities. Just how badly do you want that career?

... and their are plenty of other things astrophysicists can do other than lecturing, but I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable forumers to expand on.

CSpence said:
I'm a second year Aerospace Engineering student and I'm wondering if this is the best career path for me to take. Since a young kid I've always been fascinated by the universe and everything related to it. I want a career that will let me progress our knowledge of space forward whether it's via engineering, astrophysics, research, etc. The main reason why I've chosen Aerospace Engineering is because there really aren't many career jobs in Astrophysics outside of teaching. However, people like Neil deGrasse Tyson make me extremely motivated to go along the Astrophysics route (If you don't know who he is shame on you). It would be the perfect job but like I said there are very few opportunities to make a decent living in astrophysics.

I'm also afraid that work as an engineer wouldn't be what I want. The last thing I want is to be a pawn for a company and not have any room for creative development or progression through the ladder at the company. If I'm going to become an Aerospace Engineer I want to work on cutting edge space technology, not defense systems or planes. I've heard horror stories of older engineers not being able to find work for numerous reasons or having a "boring" engineering job and I don't want that issue. I would LOVE to work for companies like Space X, Boeing, NASA etc. if I'll be constantly immersed in space-related work. Otherwise I'll eventually get tired of my career and become depressed.

On the subject of depression, sometimes I get really down because it seems all I'm doing is studying and studying for hours on end while my close friends are out partying, socializing, and enjoying their life. Now I'm not saying that I'm not enjoying my life because I am, but some times the endless studying can bring my spirits down. I've met a lot of really cool physics/engineering students in school so far, but being around them 24/7 is boring to say the least. I don't want to go all the way through school missing out on tons of socialization and friendship opportunities because I had to study for countless nights. There are also NO cute girls in our Engineering/Physics department. I'm a very social guy and I don't fit the mold of an engineer or physicist at all: I play sports, work out a lot, club, party etc. but I'm also very smart. I feel like I was destined to work in a space related field but I didn't know it would be such a lonely path. Any advice would be appreciated!

Engineering isn't just corporate work. You can work for the government, and you can also work in academia and research labs. Also, quit with the constant studying. Your grades will actually improve if you put the books down and relax for at least a few hours per day (finals and major projects exempted of course).

Related to Continue with Aerospace Engineering or switch to Astrophysics?

1. Should I continue with Aerospace Engineering or switch to Astrophysics?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Both fields involve the study of space and related technology, but they have different focuses. Aerospace engineering is more focused on the design and development of spacecraft and other aircraft, while astrophysics is more focused on the study of the universe and celestial objects. Consider your strengths, passions, and future career options when making this decision.

2. What are the job opportunities in Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics?

Both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. Aerospace engineers can work in aerospace and defense companies, government agencies, research institutions, and more. Astrophysicists can work in academia, government agencies, observatories, and research institutions. Both fields also offer opportunities for entrepreneurship and consulting.

3. Is Aerospace Engineering or Astrophysics a more difficult field of study?

Both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and interests. Aerospace engineering may involve more hands-on engineering and design work, while astrophysics may involve more theoretical and computational work. It is important to choose a field that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.

4. What are the salary expectations for Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics careers?

The salaries for both fields can vary depending on the specific job, location, and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for aerospace engineers in 2020 was $118,610, while the median annual wage for astronomers and physicists was $122,220. Both fields offer potential for high-paying careers, but salary should not be the sole factor in your decision.

5. Can I combine Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics in my career?

Yes, it is possible to combine these two fields in your career. Some universities offer dual degree programs that allow students to study both disciplines. Alternatively, you can pursue a career in aerospace engineering and specialize in astrophysics-related projects or vice versa. The combination of these two fields can offer a unique skillset and open up diverse job opportunities.