Contest to rename "PF Lounge" category

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    contest
In summary, the PF Lounge needs a new name. Suggestions include "Event Horizon Cantina", "The Star Dust Watering Hole", or "PF Discussions Observatory".
@Greg Bernhardt perhaps it would be a good idea to create a notification letting everyone know that this thread exists? Most people don't check the feedback and announcements forum regularly.

Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
Lounge To The Real Truth

Likes *now* and BillTre
Cantor's Cantina

Likes *now* and BillTre
T##ℏ##e Lounge

Likes *now*, pinball1970, Ibix and 2 others
The Lounger Lounge

Potato Couch

Likes *now* and BillTre
Rest Frame

Likes *now*, DrGreg and BillTre
All Play and no Work

Likes phinds
Lounge in Memory of 'PF Lounge'

Likes Stavros Kiri and phinds
The forum previously formerly known as the PF Lounge.

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri, *now*, dlgoff and 3 others
DrClaude said:
The forum formerly known as the PF Lounge.
That's how you'd pronounce it, but you'd write it as ##\aleph_0##. :oldsmile:

Likes jack action, fresh_42 and DrClaude
The Photon futon

I hope you get one soon this has been driving me nuts

Likes *now* and strangerep
Eigenlounge

Likes BillTre and fresh_42
Ground state

Someone had that one?

Quarks corner
The H Bar

going through my thickest physics index

*now* said:
Eigenlounge
So the new lounge will look exactly like the old lounge, but a different size?

Likes *now*, mfb and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Quarks corner
The H Bar

going through my thickest physics index
I suggest to modify your first suggestion to "The Quark's" as we all(?) are Trekkies, although I assume that most of us have their difficulties with the Rules of Acquisition.

DrGreg said:
We could add an "s". Thus we have more possibilities: old = new, 0=BH, -1=weird news and so on ...

fresh_42 said:
Are you sure? Guess many won't find out again.

I suggest to modify your first suggestion to "The Quark's" as we all(?) are Trekkies, although I assume that most of us have their difficulties with the Rules of Acquisition.

My partner pointed out I have stolen something from Deep space nine, I don't watch it so it was done in good faith

pinball1970 said:
My partner pointed out I have stolen something from Deep space nine, I don't watch it so it was done in good faith
But you nailed it. It's basically the lounge on DS9 run by an alien named Quark.

The Sitter Lounge or De Sitter Lounge

fresh_42 said:
But you nailed it. It's basically the lounge on DS9 run by an alien named Quark.

I loved the old star trek - I just could not accept anything after that (Jame T Kirk one)

Zeta function room

I don't know what half this stuff means

La Place?

Sounds a bit pretentious, like a bar in Manchester- the expensive part where the footballers go

Infinity Lounge? - Someone must have had that?

Sounds a little Douglas Adams

pinball1970 said:
La Place?
Considering the fetish physicist have to frames and coordinates, we should prefer "Des Cartes".

fresh_42 said:
Considering the fetish physicist have to frames and coordinates, we should prefer "Des Cartes".

I don't think I am getting enough of these jokes, If it is not a joke then I am not getting enough of the physics

pinball1970 said:
I don't think I am getting enough of these jokes, If it is not a joke then I am not getting enough of the physics
Not sure I understood it right but here's what I meant: In physics, everything is about frames, frames and transformations between frames. Frames are coordinate systems. The most used coordinate system are Cartesian coordinates. The word Cartesian is because of René Descartes. And "Des Cartes" is French for "Maps". Too indirect?

DrGreg said:
That depends on who operates

Likes pinball1970 and *now*
Bandersnatch said:
Potato Couch
Greg Bernhardt said:
Perhaps we can keep the word "Lounge" in the title but can we make it a little more creative?
Potato Cauchy
Lagrounge

mfb said:
DrGreg said:
That depends on who operates
Sorry, found an error in that statement:

It does not matter if we all commute.

mfb said:
Sorry, found an error in that statement:

It does not matter if we all commute.
Even if we all commute, it still can have different sizes, and depends on where you enter it, as well as who operates it.

fresh_42 said:
Even if we all commute, it still can have different sizes, and depends on where you enter it, as well as who operates it.

Im a stamp collector, I need to read my Linear albegra book all the way through I think.

How about the Neutron lounge? No charge for entry?

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Navin
Okay, a bit of linear algebra: Linear operators M have a set of eigenvectors vi such that ##Mv_i = \lambda_i v_i## for some constant (the eigenvalue) ##\lambda_i##. As an example, an operator "mirror the z-direction" in 3D space would have the x- and y-direction as eigenvectors with eigenvalue 1 and the z-direction as eigenvector with eigenvalue -1. "Mirror across the plane x=z" would have the y-axis and a vector (1,0,1) as eigenvector with eigenvalue 1 and the vector (1,0,-1) as eigenvector with eigenvalue -1.
In general different operators have different eigenvectors - if you apply an operator on an eigenvector of a different operator you get something, but in general not a multiple of this eigenvector. There is an exception: If two operators commute, then you can find a set of eigenvectors for both operators together. For operators M,N "commute" means ##MNv=NMv## for all v. For people, "commute" means something else...

Likes pinball1970 and *now*
mfb said:
Okay, a bit of linear algebra: Linear operators M have a set of eigenvectors vi such that ##Mv_i = \lambda_i v_i## for some constant (the eigenvalue) ##\lambda_i##. As an example, an operator "mirror the z-direction" in 3D space would have the x- and y-direction as eigenvectors with eigenvalue 1 and the z-direction as eigenvector with eigenvalue -1. "Mirror across the plane x=z" would have the y-axis and a vector (1,0,1) as eigenvector with eigenvalue 1 and the vector (1,0,-1) as eigenvector with eigenvalue -1.
In general different operators have different eigenvectors - if you apply an operator on an eigenvector of a different operator you get something, but in general not a multiple of this eigenvector. There is an exception: If two operators commute, then you can find a set of eigenvectors for both operators together. For operators M,N "commute" means ##MNv=NMv## for all v. For people, "commute" means something else...

Thank you.

mfb said:
There is an exception: If two operators commute, then you can find a set of eigenvectors for both operators together.
However, not necessarily eigenvalues. E.g. ##M=I## and ##N=2I##.

Likes *now*