Contact pressure - screw pretension

In summary: I'm trying to do.In summary, the max contact pressure in the below assembly, just before contact loss between the beam and the wall, is calculated by taking into account the force at the gravity center of the beam, the preload on the screw, and the friction force between the beam and the end plate.
carb
Hello,
I'd like to calculate the max contact pressure in the below assembly, just before contact loss between the beam and the wall. The beam is clamped to the wall with a pretensioned screw, and sustaining a force at his gravity center.

I'm assuming all bodies dimensionnaly stable (no distorsion).

I wonder about few questions... how to calculate the maximum force at center of gravity before contact loss ? how to work out the composed pressure profile...

Here are some sketches that may help understanding the problem :

5K3J9.jpg

VZEoh.jpg

Thanks a lot for any kind of help (calculation steps...) !

Engineering news on Phys.org
The beam will not lose contact with the end plate until the screw exceeds its screw thread tensile failure stress (assuming the screw nut is properly sized so the thread shear failure load in the nut is greater than the tensile failure load of the screw).
As long as the initial friction force due to the pretension on the retaining screw is greater than the lateral beam load, the friction load on the end plate will remain constant but the contact pressure area on the wall will progressively move toward the bottom edge of the beam as the pretensioned screw is stretched.

Edit: In my above initial post I misspoke when I stated: (assuming the screw nut is properly sized so the thread shear failure load in the nut is greater than the tensile failure load of the screw).
That should have read: (assuming the bolt's engaged thread depth is correctly designed so the thread shear failure load of the engaged threads is greater than the tensile failure load of the screw).

An added note: The above statement about the initial preload vs friction force is correct, there are two stages of beam end to mounting plate contact loading as the bolt is stretched. Within the elastic range of the bolt stretch the beam end to mounting plate contact force; and, therefore the friction force will increase until the bolt's elastic limit is reached; which at that point, that level of increased amount of contact load will persist until the point of tensile failure of the bolt.

Last edited:
Likes carb

Related to Contact pressure - screw pretension

1. What is contact pressure?

Contact pressure refers to the force per unit area that is applied between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is also known as surface pressure or compressive stress.

2. How is contact pressure measured?

Contact pressure is typically measured using a pressure sensor or load cell. These instruments can accurately measure the amount of force being applied between two surfaces.

3. What is screw pretension?

Screw pretension is the tension or stretching force that is applied to a screw or bolt when it is tightened. This force helps to create a secure and stable joint between two surfaces.

4. Why is screw pretension important?

Screw pretension is important because it helps to ensure that the screw or bolt is securely tightened and can withstand external forces and vibrations. It also helps to prevent the joint from loosening over time.

5. How does contact pressure affect screw pretension?

Contact pressure plays a crucial role in achieving proper screw pretension. If the contact pressure is too low, the screw may not be securely tightened and could loosen over time. If the contact pressure is too high, it could lead to damage or failure of the screw or the surfaces it is in contact with.