Contact pressure of piston rod onto a surface?

In summary, there are two images being discussed, one with a single piston and one with a dual piston setup. The variables for the single piston are P_in = 2700 Pa, P_out = 0 Pa, R1 = 10 cm, R2 = 5 mm, and the unknown variable P_contact. The solution for P_contact is found by calculating the area of the piston at R1 and R2, and using the force exerted by P_in on the face of the piston. In the dual piston setup, the black area is assumed to be a fluid and P_in is equal to P_contact, but the forces on each side may be different. It is also mentioned that the black area is actually a solid
randombill
I have two images below.

This is a single piston with pressure inside, the variables are as listed.

P_in = 2700 Pa.
P_out = 0 Pa.
R1 = Radius 1 = 10 cm.
R2 = Radius 2 = 5 mm.
P_contact = ?

My solution to P_contact is as follows.

Area A1 of piston at R1 = .0314m^2 and area A2 at R2 = 7.85x10^-5 m^2. The force exerted by P_in on the face of the piston with A1 is 84.78 N. Therefore P_contact = 84.78/ A2 = 1080000 Pa. I'm just wondering if this is correct?

?temp_hash=cf837626c0695dd932af5fd7aa30c911.png
My second picture has a dual piston setup and my question is whether the P_contact variable on either side is halved?

?temp_hash=cf837626c0695dd932af5fd7aa30c911.png

Attachments

• single_piston.png
    single_piston.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 808
  • double_piston.png
    double_piston.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 725
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the black area is a fluid, P_in will be the same as P_contact. The forces on the two sides will be different though.

nasu said:
Assuming that the black area is a fluid, P_in will be the same as P_contact. The forces on the two sides will be different though.
Oh no, forgot to mention the black area would be a solid like steel or something. The Pressure for P_in would be due to a gas like air and the grey area would be a solid too like steel or wood.

Related to Contact pressure of piston rod onto a surface?

What is contact pressure?

Contact pressure is the amount of force per unit area that is exerted by one object onto another object when they are in contact with each other.

How is contact pressure calculated?

Contact pressure can be calculated by dividing the force exerted by the area over which it is applied. The formula for contact pressure is Pressure = Force / Area.

What factors affect contact pressure?

The factors that affect contact pressure include the magnitude of the force applied, the surface area over which the force is distributed, and the properties of the materials in contact (such as their hardness and compressibility).

Why is contact pressure important?

Contact pressure is important in engineering and design because it can affect the stability, durability, and performance of components and structures. High contact pressure can lead to wear and damage, while low contact pressure may result in insufficient contact and reduced functionality.

How can contact pressure be controlled?

Contact pressure can be controlled by adjusting the force applied, changing the surface area of contact, or using materials with different properties. Lubrication can also help reduce the contact pressure between two surfaces.