Construction of an affine tensor of rank 4

In summary: Yes this is an exercise in Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles by Lovelock and Rund. Problem 2.7. Thank you very much!
Whitehole

Homework Statement

In En the quantities Bij are the components of an affine tensor of rank 2. Construct two affine tensors each of rank 4, with components Cijkl and Dijkl for which

kl Cijkl Bkl = Bij + Bji

kl Dijkl Bkl = Bij - Bji

are identities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone give me a hint on how to start? I just don't know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whitehole said:

Homework Statement

In En the quantities Bij are the components of an affine tensor of rank 2. Construct two affine tensors each of rank 4, with components Cijkl and Dijkl for which

kl Cijkl Bkl = Bij + Bji

kl Dijkl Bkl = Bij - Bji

are identities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone give me a hint on how to start? I just don't know how to start.
Maybe the first post of this old thread can help you on the way: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/isotropic-tensors.106292/

Whitehole said:
The link in the first post in that thread is broken. Can you help me by just giving a hint?
There is no link in the first post of that thread.
The tensor mentioned in the first post of that thread was the hint, more specifically ##\delta_{ab}\delta_{cd}##.

Samy_A said:
There is no link in the first post of that thread.
The tensor mentioned in the first post of that thread was the hint, more specifically ##\delta_{ab}\delta_{cd}##.
This is what I did,

Let Cijkl = δik δjl + δil δjk

Multiply both sides by Bkl then take the sum

kl Cijkl Bkl = ∑klik δjl Bkl + δil δjk Bkl)

Then from the dirac delta in the first term k=i and l=j, as for the second term l=i and k=j

Thus ∑kl Cijkl Bkl = Bij + Bji

The same process goes for the second question. Is this correct?

Whitehole said:
This is what I did,

Let Cijkl = δik δjl + δil δjk

Multiply both sides by Bkl then take the sum

kl Cijkl Bkl = ∑klik δjl Bkl + δil δjk Bkl)

Then from the dirac delta in the first term k=i and l=j, as for the second term l=i and k=j

Thus ∑kl Cijkl Bkl = Bij + Bji

The same process goes for the second question. Is this correct?
Yes, that's what I meant.

Samy_A said:
Yes, that's what I meant.
Oh, thanks! But what does that relation mean?

Whitehole said:
Oh, thanks! But what does that relation mean?
I don't know. Contraction of a rank 2 tensor with C gives a symmetric rank 2 tensor. Contraction of a rank 2 tensor with D gives an antisymmetric rank 2 tensor.
Whether is means something, and if so, what it means, I don't know.

Was this an exercise, or is this used somewhere in a theoretical context?

Samy_A said:
I don't know. Contraction of a rank 2 tensor with C gives a symmetric rank 2 tensor. Contraction of a rank 2 tensor with D gives an antisymmetric rank 2 tensor.
Whether is means something, and if so, what it means, I don't know.

Was this an exercise, or is this used somewhere in a theoretical context?
Yes this is an exercise in Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles by Lovelock and Rund. Problem 2.7. Thank you very much!

Related to Construction of an affine tensor of rank 4

1. What is an affine tensor of rank 4?

An affine tensor of rank 4 is a mathematical object that describes the linear transformation between two vector spaces, taking into account both the linear and affine components of the transformation.

2. What is the purpose of constructing an affine tensor of rank 4?

The purpose of constructing an affine tensor of rank 4 is to understand and model the complex relationships between multiple vector spaces in a more accurate and efficient manner, especially in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How is an affine tensor of rank 4 different from other types of tensors?

An affine tensor of rank 4 is different from other types of tensors because it includes both linear and affine components, while other tensors only describe linear transformations.

4. What are some real-world applications of affine tensors of rank 4?

Affine tensors of rank 4 have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and fluid dynamics, where complex transformations between multiple vector spaces need to be accurately represented and calculated.

5. What are the challenges in constructing an affine tensor of rank 4?

Constructing an affine tensor of rank 4 can be challenging due to the high dimensionality and complexity involved in representing and calculating the linear and affine components of the transformation accurately. Additionally, the use of appropriate mathematical tools and techniques is crucial in constructing an affine tensor of rank 4.