How Does Tensor Product Decomposition Work in SU(2) Representations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of the tensor product of two representations of SU(2) into a direct sum of irreducible representations. The user asks for clarification on the properties of the states in the representations and how they relate to the singlet and triplet states. The expert explains that the angular momentum generators can be used to find the eigenstates of the total angular momentum and solve for the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. The user then asks for clarification on how to apply the step operators in the context of the problem. The expert suggests starting with the state |1,1> and using the step operators to find the other states in the representation.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Construct the decompositions ##\mathbf 2 \otimes \mathbf 2 = \mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##, where ##\mathbf N## is the representation of su(2) with ##\mathbf N## states and thus spin j=1/2 (N-1).

Homework Equations

Substates within a state labelled by j can take on values -j to j in integer steps

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I think I get the idea but was hoping someone could just make sure I understand things correctly.
So we consider some states in the ##\mathbf 2## representation of SU(2), labelled as ##|j_1, m_1 \rangle## and take the tensor product of this with another state ##|j_2, m_2 \rangle##. If N=2, then j=1/2. So states are |1/2, 1/2> and |1/2,-1/2>, So out of these two states can form four possible tensor products. Take for example, $$|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle$$ Then by Clebsch Gordan, possible states are ##|J.M\rangle## where ##|j_1 - j_2| < J < j_1 + j_2## and ##-J < M < J##? So the r.h.s is ##|0,0\rangle + |1,0\rangle + |1,-1 \rangle + |1,1\rangle## which is exactly those states in ##\mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##?

I am just wondering how the |0,0> state is part of ##\mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1## on the r.hs? ##\mathbf 1## contains |0,0> but ##\mathbf 3## is always of the form ##|1,-1>, |1,0> ## or ##|1,1>##.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to use the angular momentum generators to solve this problem, specifically in the basis ##J_z, J_\pm##. You will have to determine the eigenstates of the total angular momentum ##J_i = J^{(1)}_i + J^{(2)}_i ## for the states of the form ##|j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle##. The properties under ##J_\pm## will tell you whether a state belongs to the singlet or triplet. For instance, you should find two eigenfunctions with ##J_z|j,m\rangle =0##. One eigenstate will satisfy ##J_\pm |j,m\rangle= 0##, but the other will give another eigenstate,

Hi fzero,
fzero said:
You will need to use the angular momentum generators to solve this problem, specifically in the basis ##J_z, J_\pm##. You will have to determine the eigenstates of the total angular momentum ##J_i = J^{(1)}_i + J^{(2)}_i ## for the states of the form ##|j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle##. The properties under ##J_\pm## will tell you whether a state belongs to the singlet or triplet. For instance, you should find two eigenfunctions with ##J_z|j,m\rangle =0##. One eigenstate will satisfy ##J_\pm |j,m\rangle= 0##, but the other will give another eigenstate,
Ok, so ##J_z |j,m\rangle = m |j, m \rangle## and ##J_{\pm} |j,m\rangle = \sqrt{(j \mp m)(j \pm m -1)} |j, m\pm 1 \rangle##. The two eigenfunctions with ##J_z |j,m\rangle = 0## are |0,0> and |1,0>. |0,0> satisfies ##J_{\pm} |0,0> = 0##, while ##J_{\pm} |1,0\rangle = \sqrt{2} |1, \pm 1 \rangle##. So acting with the ##J_{\pm}## operators on the |0,0> does not take you to another state in the representation labelled by j=0 (since there is no other state), so |0,0> is a singlet. Similarly, acting with the step operators on |1,0>, |1,-1> or |1,1> take us to another state within the representation labelled by j=1 with the property that ##J_{-} |1,-1\rangle =0## and ##J_{+} |1,1\rangle = 0##.

So I conclude that ##\mathbf 1 = \left\{|0,0\rangle \right\}## and ##\mathbf 3 = \left\{|1,-1 \rangle, |1,0 \rangle, |1,1\rangle \right\}##.

I am not seeing why this helps me to solve the decomposition problem ##\mathbf 2 \otimes \mathbf 2 = \mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##?
Thanks!

CAF123 said:
Hi fzero,

Ok, so ##J_z |j,m\rangle = m |j, m \rangle## and ##J_{\pm} |j,m\rangle = \sqrt{(j \mp m)(j \pm m -1)} |j, m\pm 1 \rangle##. The two eigenfunctions with ##J_z |j,m\rangle = 0## are |0,0> and |1,0>. |0,0> satisfies ##J_{\pm} |0,0> = 0##, while ##J_{\pm} |1,0\rangle = \sqrt{2} |1, \pm 1 \rangle##. So acting with the ##J_{\pm}## operators on the |0,0> does not take you to another state in the representation labelled by j=0 (since there is no other state), so |0,0> is a singlet. Similarly, acting with the step operators on |1,0>, |1,-1> or |1,1> take us to another state within the representation labelled by j=1 with the property that ##J_{-} |1,-1\rangle =0## and ##J_{+} |1,1\rangle = 0##.

So I conclude that ##\mathbf 1 = \left\{|0,0\rangle \right\}## and ##\mathbf 3 = \left\{|1,-1 \rangle, |1,0 \rangle, |1,1\rangle \right\}##.

I am not seeing why this helps me to solve the decomposition problem ##\mathbf 2 \otimes \mathbf 2 = \mathbf 3 \oplus \mathbf 1##?
Thanks!

You want to find the linear combinations of the product states ##|j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle## that are eigenstates of the total angular momentum. So you're going to solve
$$ | j,m\rangle = \sum_{j_1,m_1;j_2,m_2} C^{jm}_{j_1 m_1 j_2 m_2} |j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle,$$
where the coefficients are the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. You already understand the algebra for the left-hand side of this, so now you want to work it out on the right-hand side.

Likes CAF123
fzero said:
You want to find the linear combinations of the product states ##|j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle## that are eigenstates of the total angular momentum. So you're going to solve
$$ | j,m\rangle = \sum_{j_1,m_1;j_2,m_2} C^{jm}_{j_1 m_1 j_2 m_2} |j_1,m_1\rangle\otimes|j_2,m_2\rangle,$$
where the coefficients are the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. You already understand the algebra for the left-hand side of this, so now you want to work it out on the right-hand side.
I see, ok so I guess it would be best to work with the state ##|1,1\rangle = C|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle## since then C=1 and subsequent states can be found by applying ##J_-## to this. But how does ##J_{-} (|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle)## work? Do we apply the operator in turn to each of the states, like ##J_{-} (A \otimes B) = (J_{-}A) \otimes B + A \otimes (J_{-} B)##?

Thanks!

CAF123 said:
I see, ok so I guess it would be best to work with the state ##|1,1\rangle = C|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle## since then C=1 and subsequent states can be found by applying ##J_-## to this. But how does ##J_{-} (|1/2, 1/2 \rangle \otimes |1/2, 1/2 \rangle)## work? Do we apply the operator in turn to each of the states, like ##J_{-} (A \otimes B) = (J_{-}A) \otimes B + A \otimes (J_{-} B)##?

Thanks!

Yes, and since the total angular momentum is ##J_i=J^{(1)}_i+J^{(2)}_i##, we can write this as ##J_{-} (A \otimes B) = (J_{-}^{(1)}A) \otimes B + A \otimes (J_{-}^{(2)} B)##.

Likes CAF123

Related to How Does Tensor Product Decomposition Work in SU(2) Representations?

1. What is SU(2)?

SU(2) is a mathematical group in the field of group theory. It is also known as the special unitary group of degree 2 and is a type of Lie group, which is a continuous group that is defined by certain mathematical properties.

2. Why is SU(2) important in physics?

SU(2) plays a crucial role in describing the fundamental laws and principles of physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to represent the symmetry of physical systems and to study the behavior of elementary particles.

3. What does it mean to construct a state in SU(2)?

Constructing a state in SU(2) involves finding the mathematical representation of a physical system in terms of the elements and operations of the SU(2) group. This allows for the description and prediction of the behavior of the system based on the principles of group theory.

4. How is SU(2) used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, SU(2) is used to describe and manipulate the quantum states of qubits, which are the basic units of information in a quantum computer. The operations of the SU(2) group can be used to perform certain transformations on qubits, allowing for the implementation of quantum algorithms and calculations.

5. Are there any practical applications of constructing states in SU(2)?

Yes, there are many practical applications of constructing states in SU(2). Some examples include the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography, as well as the study and understanding of various physical systems, such as atomic nuclei and subatomic particles.