Constructing Equations from Points

In summary, The conversation discusses the poster's experience as an engineer with brain tumors affecting their ability to process math. They are seeking help with writing equations for a project involving temperature readings from an engine block and controlling a radiator fan. They have found a power curve fit but it is not accurate for higher voltages. Suggestions are made to model the process as a linear function or to consider using an NTC resistor.
Dominic Luciano
Hi guys, new here. Thank you for reading my post. I'm posting today because although I'm an engineer, I have some brain tumors that have impeded my ability to process most math above basic algebra (despite the fact that prior I'd gone all the way through stats in college). It didn't really start until I was in about that last year of college, and the older I get the worse it gets. Makes my job hard sometimes, but generally I honestly don't run into this kind of math often. The funny part is I was told the tumors could very well have stimulated other parts of my brain which is why I have a higher than normal aptitude for a ton of other things. Give and take I guess. But enough about me; down to business ;)

I'm trying to write some equations based off of some data points that I have for a relatively easy project (the engineering side). Currently I'm in the programming stage, so this is all that's really left.

The project pulls the temperature from a resistive probe in the engine block of a 4Runner (12V in, lower voltage out; read that voltage and the difference in V is the temp). That information is translated down to 5V by a voltage divider (a really high wattage one at that) and a Zener diode for safety. Then the Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) on a Mega328P reads that voltage and translates that into the duty cycle of a PWM controlling a 120A MOSFET controlling the radiator fan. But if I can't get the right equation, then this becomes trash and doesn't work.

According to Excel, the "Power" trendline for my data is: y = 119.8x^(-0.881)

This is perfect until it gets to the higher voltages where is gets off course and skyrockets. Those higher voltages are VERY close and VERY important to stay on track with, and this equation veers off like a secondhand rocket above 3V.

So if anyone has some time and would be willing, it would be a huge help if someone could write up an equation for me with these data points. I'm having serious trouble and getting really frustrated with myself.

Resistance is the x value, and Voltage is the y value. As I stated, everything above ~3V is pretty important as this is where the magic starts to happen.

Thank you to anyone who helps. It means the world to me, seriously it does. Have a good night, guys ;)

Attachments

• Data set.png
    Data set.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 439
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The power curve fit assumes that the random errors are in the form of multipliers other than 1.0. Suppose you had an error of 0.1 where the model value is 1.0 and an error of 100 where the model value is 1000. Those errors would both be 10% errors so both are multipliers of 1.1, They would have equal influence in estimating the model parameters. If you want a better fit to the high voltages, you need to model the process as a linear model, not a power..

FactChecker said:
The power curve fit assumes that the random errors are in the form of multipliers other than 1.0. Suppose you had an error of 0.1 where the model value is 1.0 and an error of 100 where the model value is 1000. Those errors would both be 10% errors so both are multipliers of 1.1, They would have equal influence in estimating the model parameters. If you want a better fit to the high voltages, you need to model the process as a linear model, not a power..
I can't model it as a linear function. It's the way the numbers have fallen based off of real-world testing

Svein said:
At first glance it looks like the curve for an NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) resistor. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor.
Yes, that's correct. It's an Import Direct Temperature Sensor for a Toyota 4Runner

Related to Constructing Equations from Points

What is the purpose of constructing equations from points?

The purpose of constructing equations from points is to represent a relationship between two variables in a mathematical form. This allows us to make predictions, solve problems, and understand patterns and trends in the data.

How do you find the equation from a set of points?

To find the equation from a set of points, we use the slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b. M represents the slope of the line, and b represents the y-intercept. We can find the slope by selecting any two points from the set and using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). Then, we can substitute the slope and any of the points into the equation to find the value of b.

What if the points do not lie on a straight line?

If the points do not lie on a straight line, then the equation will not be linear. In this case, we can still find the equation by using a different form, such as the quadratic or exponential form, depending on the nature of the data.

Can you construct equations from points on a graph?

Yes, we can construct equations from points on a graph. In fact, graphing the points can help us visualize the relationship between the variables and determine the type of equation to use.

How can constructing equations from points be applied in real life?

Constructing equations from points has many real-life applications, such as predicting future trends in stock market data, analyzing sales data to make business decisions, and understanding the relationship between variables in scientific experiments. It is a useful tool in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.