Constructing Equations for a Circle with 3 Points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding coefficients for the equation of a circle given three points. The experts suggest using the equation (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2 and eliminating one of the four parameters to solve for a, b, and c.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Find coefficients a, b, c, d so that the circle with the following 3 points satisfies the equation:

[tex]ax^{2} + ay^{2} + bx + cy + d = 0[/tex]

(-4, 5)
(4, -3)
(-2, 7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering if since I can only construct 3 equations from the 3 points, if I will have to make one unknown a parameter - probably d.

Is there a way to construct a 4 th equation which I'm missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The parameters a,b,c and d are not independent if you are given that it's a circle. Write the equation of a circle in the form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2. Now you only have three parameters. And you have three points.

Last edited:
What if I used Gauss Jordan elimination to find a,b and c in terms of parameter d, would that sufficiently answer the question?

Sure, I suppose. The 'fourth parameter' is really that you can divide your whole equation by anyone of the four parameters that is nonzero and eliminate it. It was never really there to begin with. I.e. x^2+y^2+bx+cy+d=0 is also just as good.

Last edited:

Related to Constructing Equations for a Circle with 3 Points

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The solution to a system of linear equations is the set of values that makes all the equations in the system true.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and solve for its value, and then using that value to solve for the other variables.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. If the equations are consistent and have the same number of equations as variables, the system will have one unique solution. If the equations are consistent and have more equations than variables, the system will have infinite solutions. If the equations are inconsistent, the system will have no solutions.

4. What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent systems of linear equations?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one solution, while an inconsistent system has no solutions. In other words, a consistent system has equations that can be satisfied by the same set of values, while an inconsistent system has equations that cannot be satisfied by any set of values.

5. How are systems of linear equations used in real life?

Systems of linear equations are used in many real-life applications, such as solving problems involving cost and revenue, interest rates, and population growth. In engineering and science, they are used to model and analyze systems, such as electrical circuits and chemical reactions. They are also used in economics, business, and finance to make predictions and solve optimization problems.