Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

construct using unmarked straight edge only

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Let points $A$ and $B$ be given on the plane. The mid point of $A$ and $B$, call it $M$, is also given. Mark an arbitrary point $P$ on the plane. Using unmarked straight edge only, construct the line passing through $P$ and parallel to $AB$.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Let points $A$ and $B$ be given on the plane. The mid point of $A$ and $B$, call it $M$, is also given. Mark an arbitrary point $P$ on the plane. Using unmarked straight edge only, construct the line passing through $P$ and parallel to $AB$.
parallel.png

Draw a random line through $M$, meeting $AP$ at $X$, and $BP$ at $Y$. Let $Z$ be the point of intersection of $BX$ and $AY$. I'll leave you to figure out why $PZ$ is parallel to $AB$.

Hint: What this does is to construct the line connecting $P$ to the harmonic conjugate of $M$ on the line $AB$ (which happens to be the point at infinity).

Last edited:

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Draw a random line through $M$, meeting $AP$ at $X$, and $BP$ at $Y$. Let $Z$ be the point of intersection of $BX$ and $AY$. I'll leave you to figure out why $PZ$ is parallel to $AB$.

Hint: What this does is to construct the line connecting $P$ to the harmonic conjugate of $M$ on the line $AB$ (which happens to be the point at infinity).
Thank You. I can conclude now using Ceva's theorem.