Construct a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane

In summary: Thanks! This has been really helpful.In summary, the idea is to adjust the sum of angles so that it becomes greater than zero, and smaller than ##2\pi## radians.
Robb
Homework Statement
Construct a quadrilateral in the poincare half-plane model, such that the sum of all its angles is less than 60 degrees.
Relevant Equations
n/a
I created the attached file in geogebra but I don't know how to come up with less than 60 degrees. There always seems to be at least one angle that is large, no matter how I manipulate the curves. Quadrilateral is points US(1)V(1)W. The attached does not include angle measures but I assume the idea is clear. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• distance.pdf
    4.1 KB · Views: 194
Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, I'm not really versed in working on this geometry, but from what I see, geodesics(a.k.a. 'straight lines') in Poincare half-plane model, are circles perpendicular to the ##x##-axis, as well as vertical lines, perpendicular to ##x##-axis. I haven't checked this, just googled it, but if I'm right about that, would a quadrilateral that would be produced if you put a vertical line through ##S_1## on your picture eliminate the big angle you're pointing out?

I haven't calculated the angles in this metric, but maybe that helps. Report if it makes a difference.

P.S. I hope I'm not going too far here with the solution, I'm just addressing the problem you're talking about, though I can't see the angles measured in this metric, so I wouldn't know if it solves anything. Maybe a better explanation of your attempts helps in that case.

Antarres said:
To be honest, I'm not really versed in working on this geometry, but from what I see, geodesics(a.k.a. 'straight lines') in Poincare half-plane model, are circles perpendicular to the ##x##-axis, as well as vertical lines, perpendicular to ##x##-axis. I haven't checked this, just googled it, but if I'm right about that, would a quadrilateral that would be produced if you put a vertical line through ##S_1## on your picture eliminate the big angle you're pointing out?

I haven't calculated the angles in this metric, but maybe that helps. Report if it makes a difference.

P.S. I hope I'm not going too far here with the solution, I'm just addressing the problem you're talking about, though I can't see the angles measured in this metric, so I wouldn't know if it solves anything. Maybe a better explanation of your attempts helps in that case.
Attached, I have added the perpendicular line but still the same issue.

Attachments

• distance.pdf
    4.1 KB · Views: 184
I don't see any difference between the attachments you have posted.

Antarres said:
I don't see any difference between the attachments you have posted.

Sorry, must have sent the wrong file. See attached.

Attachments

• distance quiz.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 168
Okay, I think there can be this type of solution. In hyperbolic geometry, we define ideal triangles as triangles which have sum of angles equal to zero, that is, their vertices are at the boundary of hyperbolic space. In Poincare upper half-plane model, the points on the real line are ideal points, as well as points when ##y \rightarrow \infty##. So we can construct this type of ideal triangle in this model:

ideal triangle.png

This triangle has all angles equal to zero, and putting two of those together, we get the so called ideal quadrilateral who's angles are also all equal to zero.
So the idea when constructing smaller and smaller angles, is that you want the vertices to be closer to the ##x##-axis. In case when all are on ##x##-axis(or in vertical infinity), you get zero angles. This way, you can even adjust the sum of angles however you like, since you can slowly deform the ideal triangle(or quadrilateral) so that the sum of angles becomes greater than zero and as big as you want it to be(of course, always smaller than ##2\pi## radians). Hope this helps some more.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
This is perfect! Thanks so much. Makes sense. I didn't consider sending y to infinity. Good day, my friend!

You're welcome! :smile:

Antarres said:
You're welcome! :smile:

FYI, attached is another option.

Attachments

• distance quiz2.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 180
Likes Antarres
Robb said:
FYI, attached is another option.
Yeah, all vertices can be on the ##x## axis, as well. Good work!

Related to Construct a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane

1. How is a quadrilateral constructed in a Poincare half plane?

In order to construct a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane, you will need to use the following steps:

• Start by drawing two parallel lines on the half plane.
  • Next, draw two perpendicular lines that intersect the parallel lines.
  • Use a compass to draw arcs from the intersection points of the perpendicular lines to create the remaining two sides of the quadrilateral.
  • The final step is to connect the remaining points to complete the quadrilateral.

2. What are the properties of a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane?

A quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane has the following properties:

• It has four sides and four angles.
  • The sum of its interior angles is 360 degrees.
  • It has two pairs of opposite sides that are parallel.
  • It has two pairs of opposite angles that are congruent.

3. Can any quadrilateral be constructed in a Poincare half plane?

Yes, any quadrilateral can be constructed in a Poincare half plane as long as the sides and angles satisfy the properties of a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane.

4. What is the significance of constructing a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane?

Constructing a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane is important in hyperbolic geometry as it helps us understand the properties of geometric figures in non-Euclidean spaces. It also allows us to explore the concept of parallel lines and angles in a different geometric setting.

5. Are there any limitations to constructing a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane?

One limitation of constructing a quadrilateral in a Poincare half plane is that the parallel lines must be at a specific distance from each other. If the distance between the parallel lines is too small, it may not be possible to construct the quadrilateral accurately. Additionally, the angles of the quadrilateral may not appear the same as they would in Euclidean geometry due to the distortion of space in the Poincare half plane.