Construct a pair of simultaneous equations

In summary, the students in a hostel are to get new uniforms. Each girl is to receive a blouse and a skirt , each boy is to receive a shirt and a pair of trousers. Each girl is to need 1 meter of white material to sew a blouse and 72 meters of blue material to sew a shirt . Each boy is to need 1 meter of white material to sew a shirt and 100 meters of blue material to sew a pair of trousers. The total amount of white material is 72 meters and the total amount of blue material required is 100 meters.
mathlearn
The students in a hostel are to get new uniforms. Each girl is to receive a blouse and a skirt , each boy is to receive a shirt and a pair of trousers.1 meter of white material is required to sew a blouse and $1\frac{1}{2}$ meters of blue material is required to sew a shirt . Moreover $1\frac{1}{2}$ meters of blue material is required to sew a skirt and 2 meters of blue material is required to sew a pair of trousers. The total amount of white material is 72 meters and the total amount of blue material required is 100 meters.

i.Taking the number of girls as $x$ and the number of boys as $y$ , construct a pair of simultaneous equations in x and y

I need help in constructing the pair of equations. (Sun)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
The students in a hostel are to get new uniforms. Each girl is to receive a blouse and a skirt , each boy is to receive a shirt and a pair of trousers.1 meter of white material is required to sew a blouse and $1\frac{1}{2}$ meters of blue material is required to sew a shirt . Moreover $1\frac{1}{2}$ meters of blue material is required to sew a skirt and 2 meters of blue material is required to sew a pair of trousers. The total amount of white material is 72 meters and the total amount of blue material required is 100 meters.

i.Taking the number of girls as $x$ and the number of boys as $y$ , construct a pair of simultaneous equations in x and y

I need help in constructing the pair of equations. (Sun)

Hey mathlearn,

Did you already try something? Or can you explain where you're stuck?

With $x$ girls, how many blouses and skirts will we need?
How much of the materials will that require? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathlearn,

Did you already try something? Or can you explain where you're stuck?

With $x$ girls, how many blouses and skirts will we need?
How much of the materials will that require? (Wondering)

Hey I like Serena (Wave),

I was totally helpless here & that Implies that I am stuck in the beginning. :confused:

With $x$ girls 1m*$x$ for blouse & $1\frac{1}{2}$ meters for skirt

Taking boys as $y 1\frac{1}{2}$ for shirt and 2 of the blue material for trousers.

I will attempt to construct a pair of simultaneous equations.

$1x+1\frac{1}{2}y=72m\left(white material\right)$

$1\frac{1}{2}x+2y=100m\left(blue material\right)$

You have forgot to wink (';)') here (Giggle)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathlearn,

Did you already try something?

mathlearn said:
Hey I like Serena (Wave),

I was totally helpless here & that Implies that I am stuck in the beginning. :confused:

With $x$ girls 1m*$x$ for blouse & $1\frac{1}{2}$ meters for skirt

Taking boys as $y 1\frac{1}{2}$ for shirt and 2 of the blue material for trousers.

I will attempt to construct a pair of simultaneous equations.

$1x+1\frac{1}{2}y=72m\left(white material\right)$

$1\frac{1}{2}x+2y=100m\left(blue material\right)$

You have forgot to wink (';)') here (Giggle)

There you go! ;)
Except that boys are fully clad in blue, so it should be:

$1x=72\text{ m (white material)}$

$1\frac{1}{2}x++1\frac{1}{2}y + 2y=100\text{ m (blue material)}$

Looks like we might run short on blue material! :eek:

Related to Construct a pair of simultaneous equations

1. What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations that are solved together to find the values of multiple unknown variables. These equations must have the same variables in order to be solved simultaneously.

2. How do I construct a pair of simultaneous equations?

To construct a pair of simultaneous equations, you must first identify the variables that are present in both equations. Then, you can manipulate the equations by adding, subtracting, or multiplying them in order to eliminate one variable and solve for the other.

3. What is the purpose of constructing simultaneous equations?

The purpose of constructing simultaneous equations is to find the values of multiple unknown variables. This can be useful in solving real-world problems and in various fields of science and mathematics.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two equations?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have more than two equations. In fact, the more equations that are present, the easier it may be to solve for all of the unknown variables. However, the equations must still have the same variables in order to be solved together.

5. Are there any special rules or methods for solving simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method may be more suitable for certain types of equations, so it is important to choose the appropriate method based on the given equations.