Simultaneous polynomial equations.

• Thread starter Tableandchair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the person is looking for a numerical method to solve simultaneous polynomial equations that can be implemented in a computer program. They have provided an example of the equations they need to solve, with two variables and known constants. They have been suggested to use a combination of Gaussian elimination and Newton-Raphson method, but have been unable to find a solution. They are seeking thoughts and suggestions on this topic and have mentioned Grobner Basis's as a potential solution with the use of programs like Axiom and Maxima.
Tableandchair
Hi,

I'm looking for a numerical method to solve simultaneous polynomial equations that can be implemented in a computer program. I have included an example of a typical pair of equations that I may need to solve. In this case the two variables that I need to solve for are x and y, all other terms are known constants (with b equal to approximately 5).

Equation 1:

A1 * (k1 - x) * (k1 - 1 + x)^b + A2 * (k2 - y) * (k2 - 1 + y)^b = 0

Equation 2:

[b * (k1 - x)^2 + (k1 - 1 + x)^2] - [b * (k2 - y)^2 + (k2 - 1 + y)^2] = 0

It has been suggested that a Gaussian elimination method along with the Newton-Raphson method be used. Unfortunately, i have been scratching my head over this one for a couple of days now, but still have not found an answer.

Is anyone able to offer any thoughts/suggestions on this subject?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is an old question; but for anybody who wanders by:
Try Grobner Basis's: A good introduction is
http://www.msri.org/web/msri/static-pages/-/node/244
Axiom and Maxima both implement the algorithm; together with some specialized Algebraic Geometry programs.
The Axiom and Maxima implementations can both wander off; but when they work they are great.
Outside of a small hole I wandered into, they do work and offer insight. When they wandered off they just kept chugging. If they gave an answer it was always right.
Basically the process is to take the simultaneous equations and algorithmically change them into a triangular equation set which is successively solvable. You have control of ordering of the triangular system; and to a certain extent the meaning of "simplicity".
Gaussian Elimination on Steroids.
Ray

Related to Simultaneous polynomial equations.

1. What are simultaneous polynomial equations?

Simultaneous polynomial equations are a group of equations that contain multiple variables and involve powers of those variables. These equations are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. How do you solve simultaneous polynomial equations?

The most common method for solving simultaneous polynomial equations is through substitution. This involves solving one equation for one variable and then substituting that value into the other equations to eliminate that variable. This process is repeated until all variables have been solved for.

3. Can simultaneous polynomial equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, simultaneous polynomial equations can have multiple solutions. The number of solutions depends on the number of variables and the degree of the equations. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

4. Are there other methods for solving simultaneous polynomial equations?

Yes, there are other methods for solving simultaneous polynomial equations, such as elimination and graphing. Elimination involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate variables, while graphing involves plotting the equations on a graph to find the intersection points.

5. What are some real-world applications of simultaneous polynomial equations?

Simultaneous polynomial equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and solve complex systems, such as motion of objects, economic systems, and 3D shapes.