Constant-volume gas thermometer

In summary, in this conversation the problem of finding the temperature and pressure in a constant-volume gas thermometer is discussed. The pressure is given at two different temperatures and the formula P1/T1=P2/T2 is mentioned, but it is noted that the gas may not behave ideally. It is suggested that a linear relationship between pressure and temperature should be used to find the desired values.
Rblswimmer456

Homework Statement

The pressure in a constant-volume gas ther-
mometer is 0.811 atm at 100◦C and 0.5 atm
at 0◦C.

A) What is the temperature when the pressure
is 0.656922 atm?
Answer in units of ◦C.

B) What is the pressure at 138◦C?
Answer in units of atm.

Homework Equations

well I know that P1/T1=P2/T2 but I don't know how to go about it since two pressure and temperatures are given so I don't know the formula to find the third.

for part B I figured I would have to get part A before attempting the second part.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
They gave you the pressures at two temperatures. You can use either one as P1 and T1.

I mean P1 and the corresponding T1 that is.

I think the main problem is that the gas differs from ideal behaviour and by a substantial amount.Using the given data P/T is nowhere near constant.

Then it is likely that some sort of linear relationship should be found using the two points.

I can provide a response to this content by using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. In a constant-volume gas thermometer, the volume remains constant, so we can use the ideal gas law to calculate the temperature at a given pressure.

A) To find the temperature when the pressure is 0.656922 atm, we can rearrange the ideal gas law to solve for temperature: T = (P1V1)/P2. Plugging in the given values, we get T = (0.811 atm * V1)/(0.656922 atm). Since the volume is constant, we can cancel it out, and we are left with T = 1.2349 * 100◦C. Therefore, the temperature is 123.49◦C.

B) Now, to find the pressure at 138◦C, we can use the same equation and rearrange it to solve for pressure: P2 = (P1V1)/T2. Plugging in the given values, we get P2 = (0.5 atm * V1)/(138◦C). Again, since the volume is constant, we can cancel it out, and we are left with P2 = 0.003623 atm. Therefore, the pressure at 138◦C is 0.003623 atm.

Related to Constant-volume gas thermometer

1. What is a constant-volume gas thermometer?

A constant-volume gas thermometer is a type of thermometer that measures temperature by monitoring the pressure of a gas at a fixed volume. This type of thermometer is based on the principle that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature when the volume and amount of gas are kept constant.

2. How does a constant-volume gas thermometer work?

A constant-volume gas thermometer works by trapping a fixed amount of gas in a closed container with a constant volume. As the temperature of the gas changes, the pressure inside the container also changes. By measuring this pressure change, the temperature of the gas can be determined using the gas law equation, PV=nRT.

3. What are the advantages of using a constant-volume gas thermometer?

One of the main advantages of using a constant-volume gas thermometer is its high precision and accuracy. Since the volume of gas is kept constant, any changes in pressure can be directly attributed to temperature changes, making it a reliable method for temperature measurement. Additionally, this type of thermometer can be used over a wide temperature range, from -273.15°C (absolute zero) to several thousand degrees Celsius.

4. What are the limitations of a constant-volume gas thermometer?

One limitation of a constant-volume gas thermometer is that it requires careful calibration and handling. Small leaks or changes in the volume of gas can significantly affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, this type of thermometer is not suitable for measuring very low temperatures, as the gas may condense into a liquid, causing the pressure to deviate from the expected relationship with temperature.

5. How is a constant-volume gas thermometer different from other types of thermometers?

Unlike other types of thermometers, such as liquid-filled or bimetallic thermometers, a constant-volume gas thermometer does not rely on the expansion or contraction of a substance to measure temperature. Instead, it measures the pressure of a gas at a fixed volume. This makes it a more accurate and precise method for temperature measurement, especially at high temperatures.