Constant or variable coefficient?

In summary, the conversation was about identifying whether an equation was linear or homogeneous, and whether it had variable or constant coefficients. The equation in question was a linear, non-homogeneous equation with variable coefficients, but it can be converted to an equation with constant coefficients by using the change of variable, u = ln(t). The conversation also touched on the correct notation for natural logarithms, which is ln(t) not In(t).
loli12
i was asked to identify the following, linear? homogeneous? variable/constant coefficient?

note: x' = dx/dt

3(t^2)x'' = tx' + 4x -In(t)

I thought this is a linear, non-homogenous equation with variable coefficient, but the answer said this eqt has constant coefficient.. can someone please explain to me why?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
loli12 said:
i was asked to identify the following, linear? homogeneous? variable/constant coefficient?

note: x' = dx/dt

3(t^2)x'' = tx' + 4x -In(t)

I thought this is a linear, non-homogenous equation with variable coefficient, but the answer said this eqt has constant coefficient.. can someone please explain to me why?
Thanks

The equation has variable coefficients: the t's in front of the derivatives. I bet a dollar your answer is right.

It is an "equi-potential" or "Euler type" equation since the coefficient of each derivative has degree equal to the order of the derivative. It can be converted to an equation with constant coefficients by the change of variable, u= ln(t). Then
x'= (dx/du)(du/dt)= (1/t)(dx/du) etc.

By the way, it is "ln(t)" not "In(t)". I see that over and over again. Does it not occur to anyone that "I" would be a very peculiar initial for a "l"ogarithm?

HallsofIvy said:
It is an "equi-potential" or "Euler type" equation since the coefficient of each derivative has degree equal to the order of the derivative. It can be converted to an equation with constant coefficients by the change of variable, u= ln(t). Then
x'= (dx/du)(du/dt)= (1/t)(dx/du) etc.

By the way, it is "ln(t)" not "In(t)". I see that over and over again. Does it not occur to anyone that "I" would be a very peculiar initial for a "l"ogarithm?

Thanks Hall. Glad it was only a dollar. I took the time to work through that. So for the benefit of me and loli12:

[tex]ax^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+bx\frac{dy}{dx}+cy=0[/tex]

Letting [itex]t=ln(x) [/itex] or [itex] x=e^t[/itex] and using the chain rule we have:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\frac{dx}{dt}[\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dt}][/tex]

And so:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=e^{-t}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=e^{-2t}[\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{dy}{dt}][/tex]

Substituting this into the equation leads to:

[tex]ay^{''}+(b-a)y^{'}+cy=0[/tex]

Oh yea, when you solve for y(t) in the converted equation, remember to convert it back to x using the substitution: [itex] t=ln(x) [/itex]. Ok, I'm done.

Last edited:
But your original post just said you were supposed to identify it as "constant coefficients" or "variable coefficients"??

Related to Constant or variable coefficient?

1. What is a constant coefficient in scientific terms?

A constant coefficient is a numerical value that remains the same in a mathematical equation, regardless of the variables involved.

2. How is a variable coefficient different from a constant coefficient?

A variable coefficient is a numerical value that changes in a mathematical equation, depending on the variables involved. This means that the value is not fixed and can vary depending on the situation or conditions.

3. What is the significance of constant or variable coefficients in scientific research?

Constant and variable coefficients are important in scientific research as they help us understand how different factors affect a particular phenomenon or system. By studying the coefficients, we can determine the relationship between variables and make predictions or hypotheses about the behavior of a system.

4. How do scientists determine whether a coefficient is constant or variable?

Scientists determine whether a coefficient is constant or variable by analyzing data and performing experiments. If the value remains the same throughout the experiments, it is considered a constant coefficient. If the value changes, it is considered a variable coefficient.

5. Can a coefficient be both constant and variable?

No, a coefficient can either be constant or variable. It cannot be both at the same time. However, in some cases, a coefficient may be considered as a constant in one situation and a variable in another situation, depending on the context.